Skip to main content

too much stuff

There is too much stuff in my closet.

Too, too much.

And under my bed.

And above the washing machine.

And scattered about the house in other random places, too.

And I don't just mean random things that need to be stored....

I mean too many clothes.

The excess is ridiculous. Yet today was hard for me. And looking at the results is hard for me, too.

I woke up thinking about what I might do today, with several different project ideas in mind. I could set out early for a long run, or work on the vines in the backyard some more (trying to get rid of some more of them before they go bonkers growing this spring), or I could tackle the closet.

It was chilly this morning. I opted for the indoor project.

I decided that in order to do my closet the right way, I would need to start with everything out and decide piece by piece whether it was worthy of being put back in.

I pulled armload after armload of clothes onto the bed. I wrestled the two plastic bins of clothes that I store above the washing machine down, and added them to the mess on the bed. I pulled out the under-bed boxes. There wasn't any space for this stuff on the bed, so I just opened them up. I pulled the drawers out in the chest of drawers.





I was overwhelmed. Where did all of this excess come from? (Um, I can answer that. It was accumulated over many, many years, from bargain buying and shopping with my dear sweet mama, who shows love by buying things. The two of us are both learning to say no when we are out shopping together.) How had I let the clothing pile get this high? How had I not noticed?

So it was time to start. I sorted through some of the easy categories first. Dressy jackets. I love them, on other people. I bought some at one point. I think I wore one of them once? They were easy to say goodbye to -- went straight into the giveaway bag. Closely followed by hanging pants. A few pairs that I didn't wear all winter, and still know exactly how they don't fit me right -- easy to let go of, too. Most of the pants went right back into the closet for the rest of spring, since I wear them to work almost every day.

Then it got a little harder. Sweaters. Here we are at the end of winter, and sweaters were a little tougher. As a relatively crafty person, I had a hard time letting go of anything cashmere, even if I hadn't worn it in over a year. It took me so long to find anything 100% wool at Goodwill when I was ready to make slippers for sweet hubby, let alone cashmere for the lining. And sweaters always seem like such an investment -- never as cheaply acquired as tee's and tops. But about 15 sweaters made it into the giveaway bag. The rest will go above the washing machine for the summer, but not as tightly packed as last year. I'd like to think of it as slow progress, but progress nonetheless.

Dresses. Oh, dresses, why are you such a weakness?

My strategy was to count the Sundays. How many Sundays will I be in town and want to wear a dress to church? I have too many dresses. I have twice as many dresses as Sundays to wear them. And I don't really go out to fancy places very often, or wear dresses to school very much, so I have no reason to have so many of them. I just like them so much....But a few (at least five) jumped out of the closet and into the giveaway bag.

The dresses were followed by the tops. How many different white tops do I own? At least one for every day of the week. Same with black, and blue, and pink, and teal, and on and on and on. Many tops jumped into the bag. Many more jumped themselves right back into the closet. But when they did, they jumped in behind the sign.

What sign?

The "everything in front of me has been worn this season, and gets to stay longer" sign. Introduced to me by my sweet friend and neighbor, who also has a hard time cleaning out her closet.



Tee shirts were easier -- since I've been pulling some out to make into a T-shirt quilt for a while -- I just added to the stash. It feels like cheating. And some will make the journey to the beach, to live a new life there, always available, and making it so that I can pack less.

In the end? About 80 different articles of clothing jumped into my bag.

Um, make that my 6 bags.




Goodwill, here I come.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

five minute friday

Linking up for Five Minute Friday hosted by the gypsy mama. It's Friday morning, there is no school today, and I am wide awake. I have been since about 20 minutes after my alarm usually goes off. I grabbed the cat, shoved her under the covers, and told sweet hubby "Merry Christmas". He wasn't very amused, starting scratching my head to get me to go back to sleep...but I am awake. Awake, and awakening, and growing in awareness. Last weekend was a wake-up call to me. We had a couple of friends over to watch movies on Saturday night, and by Sunday, sweet hubby and I were not on speaking terms. When we finally spoke again, late on Tuesday, I said painful words to sweet hubby.... If you are the person who was in my living room on Saturday night, then I don't want to know you. --I'm not.-- Then you will have to show me. And so we are both awakening to the task of rediscovering how to be good to one another, kind, respectful, building one another up as we r

if you met me...

Linking up at the Gypsy Mama . If you met me.... I'd be happy to chat for a little while, unless I was watching the clock and trying to manage my time. Sometimes I try, sometimes I don't. If you met me at school, I'd only speak to you in Spanish. For real. Unless there were no kids around, in which case I could speak to you in English. If you met me at the beach, I'd be running around in my pjs or a bikini. All the time. I think I even forgot to pack shorts for the current beach trip. Who needs shorts when there are bikinis and sunshine? If you met me, you might think I'm ridiculous about how much I love my husband and our cat. And please don't ask me, after you hear that we've been married for five years, if we have any kids. If I didn't mention any, I probably don't have any. And if I didn't mention on my own that I one day want to have kids, don't ask me when I'm planning to. I think it is rude, and personal, and you never kn

so far away

Linking up to the Gypsy Mama's five minute Friday.... Chile is so far away. My husband's homeland, the place where he most wants to be. His mama is there, his daddy is there, his brothers and cousins and grandmas and the people who mattered most to him for so so so long are there, and we are here. Here in the very different US, with values thrown at us everyday that seem to say that his childhood was inferior and that returning to a life like that would be the most unwise choice. Here, where the only way to get from one place to another is by car. Here, where without a college degree a "real job" is impossible to come by. Here, where being a legal resident costs thousands of dollars, time, and ridiculous interviews where people question whether you are actually married. Distance is what happens when it is time for the holidays, time to remember family traditions, and the people who are still celebrating them, even though he is far away, thrust into the midst of