Skip to main content

thank you, to the flu

The flu has graced my body with its presence.

Thank you, flu.

Thank you for making me feel like crap.

Thank you for making me drop out of the race this morning, less than halfway through, in tears and hacking up a lung, because apparently this isn't just a little first-thing-in-the-morning phlegm. (Sorry, I'm sure you wanted to read that.)

Thank you for making me miss the free 7 habits workshop that sweet hubby and I were supposed to attend together.

Thank you for sweet hubby driving me to the doctor's care, filling out paperwork, trying to eat lunch, then trading it for a rest at home for 15 min. before driving me back to doctor's care and sitting with me in the little room for about an hour while they eliminated strep from the diagnosis (I've been on amoxycilan (sp.) for 5 days, so it was very unlikely that would be the diagnosis in any case.), then stuck a q-tip up my nose for a flu test, and took chest x-rays.

Thank you for sweet hubby stopping at walgreens to fill my prescriptions and taking me home, fixing me a fruit smoothie with honey instead of sugar, and not making noise in the house so I could sleep it off for a few hours.

Thank you for my team teacher, Susan, who answered my phone call, gave me some phone numbers of potential subs, and reminded me of what I did and didn't need to plan for this week, what with Valentine's day and Fossil Frank coming on Tuesday.

Thank you for one of my student's parents, who subs a lot at the school and decided that she would like to learn Spanish just because and has gotten good enough over the past few years to do a day or two here or there of subbing IN SPANISH. Thank you for being available and willing to take my crazy kids for Valentine's day *and* this Friday when I have a meeting all day at school.

Thank you for the NP who decided to tell me that under no circumstances am I to return to school until Wednesday, and only then if I am feeling 100%. Thank you for making the decision for me, since on my own I was unlikely to slow down for that long.

Thank you for the school technology system, which allows me to access all of my files saved on my G drive at school from online, and therefore gives me access to my lesson plans and smartboard presentations and a whole host of resources that make amending my plans for a sub so easy to do from home.

Thank you for my sweet mama and daddy, who, after a quick phone call, put together a bag of saltines, bread, and gingerale to drop off at my house since sweet hubby needed to go do something for a friend for a few hours (pre-planned and totally approved by me, even sick -- I hate to make other people cancel their plans because I feel bad -- he could hang out here, but since I'm basically a vegetable or sleeping today, I'm glad he could keep his commitment) and we didn't have any super-bland foods on hand....

Thank you to sweet Ann, who has volunteered to take over all of my duties at the university church this weekend/week, first setting up for dinner tomorrow night and then leading Bible study for me.

Thank you, self, for making a million pairs of pajama pants in the fall, so that I can wear clean PJs everyday that I am out sick and not have to do laundry in order to do so.

Thank you for sweet friends on facebook, who are expressing support and offering to bring anything and everything I could need to me.

Thank you, flu, for making me feel like crap so that I can better appreciate the people around me for the blessings that they are to me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

five minute friday

Linking up for Five Minute Friday hosted by the gypsy mama. It's Friday morning, there is no school today, and I am wide awake. I have been since about 20 minutes after my alarm usually goes off. I grabbed the cat, shoved her under the covers, and told sweet hubby "Merry Christmas". He wasn't very amused, starting scratching my head to get me to go back to sleep...but I am awake. Awake, and awakening, and growing in awareness. Last weekend was a wake-up call to me. We had a couple of friends over to watch movies on Saturday night, and by Sunday, sweet hubby and I were not on speaking terms. When we finally spoke again, late on Tuesday, I said painful words to sweet hubby.... If you are the person who was in my living room on Saturday night, then I don't want to know you. --I'm not.-- Then you will have to show me. And so we are both awakening to the task of rediscovering how to be good to one another, kind, respectful, building one another up as we r

adult decisions

(No, not x-rated, you're looking in the wrong place.) I was supposed to go on a college church retreat this weekend. And I didn't. I was very "unresponsible" and made the best decision for me -- not to go. I would have loved spending time in the mountains. I would have loved getting to know some of the students a little bit better. I would have loved spending time taking in God's majesty while watching the sun rise or set over the lake, singing songs of praise, hiking, walking the labyrinth, or sitting in a rocking chair on the front porch. Except that this weekend, I wouldn't have loved any of those things. They would have been a burden to me. And a church retreat? I'm fairly certain that it is not supposed to feel like a burden, but more like a blessing. When sweet hubby's good friend called me and texted me to see if he could ride with me, I said no. I couldn't handle the idea of talking to this man for three hours in the car af

if you met me...

Linking up at the Gypsy Mama . If you met me.... I'd be happy to chat for a little while, unless I was watching the clock and trying to manage my time. Sometimes I try, sometimes I don't. If you met me at school, I'd only speak to you in Spanish. For real. Unless there were no kids around, in which case I could speak to you in English. If you met me at the beach, I'd be running around in my pjs or a bikini. All the time. I think I even forgot to pack shorts for the current beach trip. Who needs shorts when there are bikinis and sunshine? If you met me, you might think I'm ridiculous about how much I love my husband and our cat. And please don't ask me, after you hear that we've been married for five years, if we have any kids. If I didn't mention any, I probably don't have any. And if I didn't mention on my own that I one day want to have kids, don't ask me when I'm planning to. I think it is rude, and personal, and you never kn