Skip to main content

making my priorities match

This is about a week, or maybe even more, late. Perhaps it has even been alluded to in the past, I'm not even sure anymore.

I'm at a funny point where I want to make my priorities match.

Which priorities?

The ones inside my head and the ones that show up in my actions.

It's strange to me how disparate they seem, most of the time.

For example, I might say that being an active leader at church is important to me. But then I will decide to go out of town every weekend for three months in a row, and not actually go to church or fulfill any leadership responsibilities during that time. Yet to anyone I visit while I am out of town, I will still tell them that being a leader at my church is important to me. These two things don't quite match -- I say one thing, yet do another.

The same thing happens frequently to sweet hubby. I tell him that spending time with him is important to me, but when I have the chance to spend time with him, we both sit on our computers with the TV on and don't talk to one another. It would be much more accurate for me to say that I enjoy spending time on the computer and watching TV while he is in the room. I should turn off the computer, or simply put it away, and turn off the TV, and cuddle up with sweet hubby. That's one way that I could make my priorities match. I should make my actions match my words.

This extends to the financial area, as well, but I think I've already written plenty about that recently. My financial choices should better reflect what my professed priorities are. And I am slowly trying to put this into effect. It is a hard change to make, as it requires planning ahead and a level of commitment that I have never been able to achieve, financially (although I think I'm pretty good at almost all other types of commitment). I'm two for two in the tithing arena for 2011, which seems like a solid start and something I'm capable of maintaining. I just have to remember that even when I am out of town, I can always drop a check by the church or mail in a payment. Too bad I'm not in Germany, where a tithe is taken out of the pay check and delivered directly to the church as if it were taxes to the government. That system truly seems to support the idea of giving from the top, not from the leftovers.

This spring seems to be about refocusing for me. I've been taking a look at the different commitments I've made over the past few years (most of which are still ongoing) and have been trying to figure out which things it is time to let go of. I have 90% decided that I won't lead a Bible study group next year, or that if I do, I will request a co-leader so that I won't feel guilty for missing now and then. I would like to move back down to being an active member at just one church, instead of two, or to be able to choose a different second church that allows me to do more service and be a member of a different type of community (like a Spanish speaking worship service, or something like that, rather than the college church). I'd like to make a bigger effort to make healthy choices, both for exercise and for eating, and I'd REALLY like to see sweet hubby do the same. I'd like for us to make a bigger effort to get the house into better order, too, since we spend so much time here, and since using this house as a place to grow friendships really is something I would like to make into a bigger actual priority, rather than one I just talk about.

Ahhh, priorities. They are so easy to talk about, and so hard to match.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

if you met me...

Linking up at the Gypsy Mama . If you met me.... I'd be happy to chat for a little while, unless I was watching the clock and trying to manage my time. Sometimes I try, sometimes I don't. If you met me at school, I'd only speak to you in Spanish. For real. Unless there were no kids around, in which case I could speak to you in English. If you met me at the beach, I'd be running around in my pjs or a bikini. All the time. I think I even forgot to pack shorts for the current beach trip. Who needs shorts when there are bikinis and sunshine? If you met me, you might think I'm ridiculous about how much I love my husband and our cat. And please don't ask me, after you hear that we've been married for five years, if we have any kids. If I didn't mention any, I probably don't have any. And if I didn't mention on my own that I one day want to have kids, don't ask me when I'm planning to. I think it is rude, and personal, and you never kn

five minute friday

Linking up for Five Minute Friday hosted by the gypsy mama. It's Friday morning, there is no school today, and I am wide awake. I have been since about 20 minutes after my alarm usually goes off. I grabbed the cat, shoved her under the covers, and told sweet hubby "Merry Christmas". He wasn't very amused, starting scratching my head to get me to go back to sleep...but I am awake. Awake, and awakening, and growing in awareness. Last weekend was a wake-up call to me. We had a couple of friends over to watch movies on Saturday night, and by Sunday, sweet hubby and I were not on speaking terms. When we finally spoke again, late on Tuesday, I said painful words to sweet hubby.... If you are the person who was in my living room on Saturday night, then I don't want to know you. --I'm not.-- Then you will have to show me. And so we are both awakening to the task of rediscovering how to be good to one another, kind, respectful, building one another up as we r

so far away

Linking up to the Gypsy Mama's five minute Friday.... Chile is so far away. My husband's homeland, the place where he most wants to be. His mama is there, his daddy is there, his brothers and cousins and grandmas and the people who mattered most to him for so so so long are there, and we are here. Here in the very different US, with values thrown at us everyday that seem to say that his childhood was inferior and that returning to a life like that would be the most unwise choice. Here, where the only way to get from one place to another is by car. Here, where without a college degree a "real job" is impossible to come by. Here, where being a legal resident costs thousands of dollars, time, and ridiculous interviews where people question whether you are actually married. Distance is what happens when it is time for the holidays, time to remember family traditions, and the people who are still celebrating them, even though he is far away, thrust into the midst of