Skip to main content

running group?

My running buddy, she found out about a running group. They meet on Saturday mornings at a local middle school, and run different distances according to what everyone is training for. The group belongs to a local church.

My running buddy, she convinced me that we should sign up together. So we did. Three weeks ago.

And that first Saturday? I had a cold. Not a huge cold, but enough of a cold not to want to get up early on Saturday and go running with a bunch of strangers while wearing leggings.

The second Saturday? I had other running plans, and so did my running buddy. We helped raise funds for a local organization that provides transitional housing and services to homeless families. A whole group of us signed up together, and it was fun. At the end, someone from the running group saw our church t-shirts and invited us to join the running group. My running buddy and I admitted that we were already signed up for the group.

This Saturday? I gave it a try. By myself. My running buddy? She went out of town. So I got up, put on leggings, and headed out to the school a little early to warm up and stretch. As I noticed other people in running gear arrive, I worked up the courage to ask if they were the running group.

Indeed, they were. Out of the 25-30 people who were there, one person talked to me.

ONE.

And the second thing she said?

We won't have anyone running your distance today.

I'm not a completely shy person, but new things can be pretty daunting. Signing up to run with a group of people I don't know? Not something I would typically try on my own.

We worked out that I would start out with the 10K/Half Marathon group, who were planning to run 6 miles....But I was only hoping to run 4 today, so I would turn back at a certain spot.

The actual run? Was fine. I ran like I normally run, just a different route.

But here's the thing.

If I had known that everyone would be listening to their own music the whole time?
I would have brought my own.

If I had known that no one would talk to the new person?
I would have run my normal route at home.

What is the point of having a running group where no one talks to each other?

Where is the community in that?

And if this running group is intended to be a gateway into their church community, how the heck do they expect that to work?

I was (clearly) disappointed with the way the group worked out this morning. But I've signed up for the email list, and I'll try it again.

Who knows....maybe next time will be better. I think a fair chance at this group will be about 5 times. One down, four to go.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

five minute friday

Linking up for Five Minute Friday hosted by the gypsy mama. It's Friday morning, there is no school today, and I am wide awake. I have been since about 20 minutes after my alarm usually goes off. I grabbed the cat, shoved her under the covers, and told sweet hubby "Merry Christmas". He wasn't very amused, starting scratching my head to get me to go back to sleep...but I am awake. Awake, and awakening, and growing in awareness. Last weekend was a wake-up call to me. We had a couple of friends over to watch movies on Saturday night, and by Sunday, sweet hubby and I were not on speaking terms. When we finally spoke again, late on Tuesday, I said painful words to sweet hubby.... If you are the person who was in my living room on Saturday night, then I don't want to know you. --I'm not.-- Then you will have to show me. And so we are both awakening to the task of rediscovering how to be good to one another, kind, respectful, building one another up as we r

adult decisions

(No, not x-rated, you're looking in the wrong place.) I was supposed to go on a college church retreat this weekend. And I didn't. I was very "unresponsible" and made the best decision for me -- not to go. I would have loved spending time in the mountains. I would have loved getting to know some of the students a little bit better. I would have loved spending time taking in God's majesty while watching the sun rise or set over the lake, singing songs of praise, hiking, walking the labyrinth, or sitting in a rocking chair on the front porch. Except that this weekend, I wouldn't have loved any of those things. They would have been a burden to me. And a church retreat? I'm fairly certain that it is not supposed to feel like a burden, but more like a blessing. When sweet hubby's good friend called me and texted me to see if he could ride with me, I said no. I couldn't handle the idea of talking to this man for three hours in the car af

January, Schmanuary....

 This month feels like it is going ON and ON and ON.  I guess 31 days in a single month can make it feel like the month will never end.   It's not a terrible month....it just....it feels like we aren't really getting anywhere.  I keep teaching my kids, we keep doing our "normal" routine of which books we work in and what subjects we study and where and how much we play outside....and the days, they all feel like more of the same.  I start each day calm, and quietly giving directions, and about two hours later all thoughts and feelings that "homeschooling is working for us, this is fine, I could totally keep doing this for another year" fall away and are replaced by feelings of anger and frustration and OMG could my kid please just listen to me ONE TIME and do what I ask her to do ONE TIME without me having to raise my voice? Well.  So that's how homeschooling is going. The homeschooling blogs and facebook groups all seem to agree that this is a tough tim