Skip to main content

On the second day of Christmas; Life in the time of Corona part 14

I present to you: Miss middle, jumping with joy at finding soup in her stocking.  In our family, if you are naughty, Santa brings you soup instead of coal.  She got lucky that Santa didn't decide to pour the soup into the stocking, but rather chose to leave the soup in its own container. She also got lucky that Santa brought her toys AND soup, rather than just soup, because she is often naughty.  The thought of soup in her stocking had caused much worry and many tears over the past month or so, because she really does make naughty choices quite a lot. Also partially pictured: the loveseat (yellowish) and a grey chair, both mentioned later in this post.
Miss Middle, gleefully jumping with joy at her can of soup, left in her stocking by Santa because she is sometimes naughty.
 Well, the excitement is over and the busy-ness of solo-parenting is taking over.  I'm crossing my fingers that the busy-ness will overshadow the loneliness and the feeling of sadness from the husband leaving mid-day Christmas day to travel to visit his family in Chile again, to be there for the first New Year's celebration without their mom/wife.  I'm sure, on some level, that he wishes I had chosen to pack up the kids and travel with him.  However, the logistics of Covid-"safe" travel and three children ages 3, 5, and 7 simply do not add up.  It was a task of choosing the least bad arrangement, rather than a good arrangement, at least in my mind, and my preference would have been for no travel at all.  My opinion seemed to count for very little in that conversation, and here I am, roughly 24 hours into solo-parenting for about three weeks, should this trip go as planned and not morph into the nightmare that the March trip turned into. (He went to Chile to see his mother in the hospital just as things were shutting down for the beginnings of the pandemic here, and was there while the borders were closed, while his mother received a diagnosis of pancreatic cancer, and died from lack of ability to receive treatment since everything there  shut down due to the pandemic.  Instead of being away for the scheduled one week trip to see his mom in the hospital, he was there for nearly three months and also lost his mom.  Grief is a cruel master.)


I have spent a few minutes (very, very few) reflecting on my "Make 9" list from 2020.  I set some beautiful intentions for myself, to help push me into sewing more things for myself and learning some new-to-me skills and/or to simply convince myself to start a few projects I'd already started.  There were some beautiful successes in enhancing my wardrobe: plenty of Jade tees, a couple of pairs of Rose shorts, a Beatrix blouse with buttons, and several Isla dresses.  I'd like to say a special thanks to Rae Hoekstra, who does not know me, for writing her blog so many years ago and gradually hooking me in to her patterns, convincing me that even I could sew my own clothes.  "The baby" has a completed quiet book, finished just in time to not need to take him anywhere that he needed to stay quietly occupied. And a scrap quilt was started and finished -- but not the quilt that was started at the beginning of 2020.  There were some big misses, too: namely, all of the "home" items that were on the list.  For several years, "recover the loveseat" has been one of my most present goals, and for many years, "recover the loveseat" has gone unattempted, unstarted, unscheduled.  It is actually a huge frustration for me.  I have the fabric, I have the extra batting, I have piping/welting cord, I have coordinating thread, a slew of appropriate tools....I was probably planning to start it "next" in March when the hubby had his adventure in Chile and the first round of solo-parenting set in, followed by change after change in plans, and weeks and weeks spent away from home, and ill will towards each other that makes this a non-ideal time for beginning a project that will require his assistance to complete.  Also?  It is a daunting task -- there is something about the size of the job that is giving me pause, more than the three armchairs that we've recovered in preparation/trying to learn what we are doing.  And recovering the love seat is a pre-cursor to recovering the dining room chairs: the leftover fabric from the love seat (and the grey chairs before it) will become the new fabric for the dining room chairs.  I refuse to re-cover the dining room chairs first, just in case I somehow use up too much of the fabric purchased several years ago for the love seat.  Another home project that simply didn't happen: new curtains for the kitchen. 

 

2020 also contained plenty of un-planned sewing.  One of the biggest surprises to myself was the bathing suits: the series of shorts, tops, and a long-sleeve  swim shirt that combine with other (store bought) swimsuit pieces as a sort of mix-and-match set to cover most of my swimwear needs and preferences.  I didn't make piles and piles of masks, like I know some people did, but I did sew up enough for my immediate family to have several each.  And somehow, along the way, I sort of challenged myself to see if I could make all of my clothes instead of buying new (the big exceptions are jeans and bras).  This occasionally extends to the kids, but is mostly just self imposed on myself. To clarify, I have no problem wearing the clothes that I already owned; I've simply drastically changed the way I shop for myself from buying clothes ready made  to buying fabric and making them myself. 


Here is my current list, heading into Make 9 2021:

  1.  Sew pants with a zipper
  2.  Sew a jacket/hoodie with a zipper
  3.  Reupholster the love seat
  4.  Recover the dining room chairs
  5.  Make another scrap quilt
  6.  Sew running clothes (leggings and sports bras)
  7.  Hand stitch an embroidery sampler
  8.  Learn to use the serger 
  9.  Finish the pink and yellow crotched blanket

Do you have goals/intentions/resolutions for the New Year?  I also have health/wellness/mental wellbeing goals in mind, but haven't settled on them quite yet. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

if you met me...

Linking up at the Gypsy Mama . If you met me.... I'd be happy to chat for a little while, unless I was watching the clock and trying to manage my time. Sometimes I try, sometimes I don't. If you met me at school, I'd only speak to you in Spanish. For real. Unless there were no kids around, in which case I could speak to you in English. If you met me at the beach, I'd be running around in my pjs or a bikini. All the time. I think I even forgot to pack shorts for the current beach trip. Who needs shorts when there are bikinis and sunshine? If you met me, you might think I'm ridiculous about how much I love my husband and our cat. And please don't ask me, after you hear that we've been married for five years, if we have any kids. If I didn't mention any, I probably don't have any. And if I didn't mention on my own that I one day want to have kids, don't ask me when I'm planning to. I think it is rude, and personal, and you never kn

five minute friday

Linking up for Five Minute Friday hosted by the gypsy mama. It's Friday morning, there is no school today, and I am wide awake. I have been since about 20 minutes after my alarm usually goes off. I grabbed the cat, shoved her under the covers, and told sweet hubby "Merry Christmas". He wasn't very amused, starting scratching my head to get me to go back to sleep...but I am awake. Awake, and awakening, and growing in awareness. Last weekend was a wake-up call to me. We had a couple of friends over to watch movies on Saturday night, and by Sunday, sweet hubby and I were not on speaking terms. When we finally spoke again, late on Tuesday, I said painful words to sweet hubby.... If you are the person who was in my living room on Saturday night, then I don't want to know you. --I'm not.-- Then you will have to show me. And so we are both awakening to the task of rediscovering how to be good to one another, kind, respectful, building one another up as we r

so far away

Linking up to the Gypsy Mama's five minute Friday.... Chile is so far away. My husband's homeland, the place where he most wants to be. His mama is there, his daddy is there, his brothers and cousins and grandmas and the people who mattered most to him for so so so long are there, and we are here. Here in the very different US, with values thrown at us everyday that seem to say that his childhood was inferior and that returning to a life like that would be the most unwise choice. Here, where the only way to get from one place to another is by car. Here, where without a college degree a "real job" is impossible to come by. Here, where being a legal resident costs thousands of dollars, time, and ridiculous interviews where people question whether you are actually married. Distance is what happens when it is time for the holidays, time to remember family traditions, and the people who are still celebrating them, even though he is far away, thrust into the midst of