Skip to main content

the day after

We spent the day painting the bedroom. And sitting on the couch. And eating chex mix, minus the onion powder, plus a lot of worcestershire sauce. And poor sweet hubby bought three different blu-ray players, returning the first two for two different reasons....the first may not have worked correctly, while I may have complained that the second one was too complicated for me to figure out how to watch tv. Even though I tried to take back my tantrum, it was too late. Sweet hubby had already made up his mind to return it and find something less advanced. I'm pretty sure he actually told the people at the store when he returned it that there was nothing wrong with it, that it was simply too advanced for his wife.

The bedroom is now peach. I love it. There will be pictures soon-ish -- once the room is straightened back out and curtains re-hung and things like that.

We are going to have to wait on a trip to Chile. We both REALLY want to go, but neither of us finds the idea of always being limited in what we are able to do each day (within reason, of course) by the seemingly unreachable goal of saving up $6000 to blow on a three week trip over the summer. The plane tickets alone are close to $3000, and then, of course, there are the gifts to buy, and expenses while traveling, and when it is all said and done, we always go over whatever budget we manage to amass before the traveling takes place.

So we are still working towards that goal, but trying to back off of the urgency of the trip -- we will be there when we are there, and until then, we are here. And we might as well enjoy being here, since it's where we are.

Sweet hubby gave me a pretty necklace for Christmas, and after I woke up on Christmas morning earlier than planned from a nightmare, sweet hubby kept me company while I chopped vegetables, got ready for the day, and so on. We were only 20 minutes late to breakfast, partly because I had forgotten that we would need to move the presents from our house to my mama's house....Fortunately, we remembered at the last minute and loaded them into the car.

Mama's gift made her cry. I was glad to know that she really, truly, liked her gift -- rather than a simple "smile, nod, thank you" she kept looking at it over and over. I got her an Erin Condren calendar/notebook with pictures of the family on it. I have one that lists my favorite things, and it makes me happy to use it. I had been waiting to give her that present since November -- it was worth the wait.

Our little house looks like a storm has blown through -- between sweet kitty getting her head stuck in the handle of a grocery bag (and thinking the bag was attacking her) and running wild through the house, Christmas baking, veggie prep, painting the bedroom, and Christmas gifts arriving, every single surface is covered. Putting the house back in order will be quite the task -- much better to leave it for tomorrow.

So it is the day after, and the day of was a great day. We ate cinnamon rolls, breakfast casserole, grits, ambrosia....We opened stockings and Santa presents, we passed out gifts from under the tree, we cooked and baked all the while, and we made it (a few minutes late) to church. After church, we cooked and baked some more, cleaned up a little bit in the living room, then loaded up the cars and headed upstate to visit the rest of the family. We ate and ate and ate and ate, then played the pineapple game, then ate and ate and ate some more, then headed home late. Spending the holidays with my mama's family is always lots of fun, good company, and excellent food.

And all throughout the night before and the morning of, and even late at night after coming home, each time I picked up sweet kitty, I would hand her to sweet hubby, and tell him, "Merry Christmas! I got you this cat for Christmas!" and sweet hubby would smile and say "Thank you! I love it!". We celebrate sweet kitty's "birthday" (the day she arrived at our house, not the day she was born) on Christmas.

I hope that your Christmas was as lovely and family-and-friend filled as mine was.

Comments

  1. Thank you for the comment on my post! Great minds think alike as our 2012 resolution is to visit the beach once a week since we live so close. What ocean do you live near?

    Heather @ Find That Warm Fuzzy Feeling

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

five minute friday

Linking up for Five Minute Friday hosted by the gypsy mama. It's Friday morning, there is no school today, and I am wide awake. I have been since about 20 minutes after my alarm usually goes off. I grabbed the cat, shoved her under the covers, and told sweet hubby "Merry Christmas". He wasn't very amused, starting scratching my head to get me to go back to sleep...but I am awake. Awake, and awakening, and growing in awareness. Last weekend was a wake-up call to me. We had a couple of friends over to watch movies on Saturday night, and by Sunday, sweet hubby and I were not on speaking terms. When we finally spoke again, late on Tuesday, I said painful words to sweet hubby.... If you are the person who was in my living room on Saturday night, then I don't want to know you. --I'm not.-- Then you will have to show me. And so we are both awakening to the task of rediscovering how to be good to one another, kind, respectful, building one another up as we r

if you met me...

Linking up at the Gypsy Mama . If you met me.... I'd be happy to chat for a little while, unless I was watching the clock and trying to manage my time. Sometimes I try, sometimes I don't. If you met me at school, I'd only speak to you in Spanish. For real. Unless there were no kids around, in which case I could speak to you in English. If you met me at the beach, I'd be running around in my pjs or a bikini. All the time. I think I even forgot to pack shorts for the current beach trip. Who needs shorts when there are bikinis and sunshine? If you met me, you might think I'm ridiculous about how much I love my husband and our cat. And please don't ask me, after you hear that we've been married for five years, if we have any kids. If I didn't mention any, I probably don't have any. And if I didn't mention on my own that I one day want to have kids, don't ask me when I'm planning to. I think it is rude, and personal, and you never kn

so far away

Linking up to the Gypsy Mama's five minute Friday.... Chile is so far away. My husband's homeland, the place where he most wants to be. His mama is there, his daddy is there, his brothers and cousins and grandmas and the people who mattered most to him for so so so long are there, and we are here. Here in the very different US, with values thrown at us everyday that seem to say that his childhood was inferior and that returning to a life like that would be the most unwise choice. Here, where the only way to get from one place to another is by car. Here, where without a college degree a "real job" is impossible to come by. Here, where being a legal resident costs thousands of dollars, time, and ridiculous interviews where people question whether you are actually married. Distance is what happens when it is time for the holidays, time to remember family traditions, and the people who are still celebrating them, even though he is far away, thrust into the midst of