Skip to main content

Well, that didn't go as planned....

It's been a series of mishaps over here, and all of them are putting me into a funk.

The two littlest children in my family finished nursery school on Thursday the 16th.  I climbed in bed early that night, exhausted from all the fun and festivities of the last day and last swimming lessons.  Sweet hubby had gone out to see his former students perform in their school concert.  The phone rang -- unusual in these days of texting -- and my dad informed me that sweet hubby needed to go to the hospital in an ambulance for back spasms.

Therefore, I needed to go to the hospital.  My dad (the best!) came over to stay in my quiet house with my sleeping babies while I accompanied sweet hubby at the hospital.  The medicine they gave him did not ease his pain.  The x-rays did not show anything.  The CT scan did not show anything.  The extra medicine did not seem to provide any relief. Finally we left, anyway, and got home at 3:00 in the morning. On the "night" before I would have kids at home all day for their first day of summer vacation.

My kids do not sleep in. Also, Peanut is still in school for another couple of weeks. So up at 6 after 3 hours of sleep.  It was not pretty.  My parents are life savers. My dad drove Peanut to school.  My mom took Miss Middle on some errands.  My mom picked up Peanut from school and took her out for a special treat.  I took a nap.  My parents took us all out to supper.  Sweet hubby got out of bed twice all day, and very briefly.

On Saturday, my mom and my brother helped me get the kids out of the house for a while so that sweet hubby could rest. In the afternoon, my dad helped me take them to the pool for a swim.  Sweet hubby walked a couple laps around our house, but mostly stayed in bed.

Sunday morning, the older children sang in church. We left early and had lunch, then home for short naps, and then off to the end-of-season dance recital. Sweet hubby had to miss both. Again, thank goodness for my parents, who pitch in and help out so much. My dad stayed at the house after bedtime so I could grocery shop in peace.

Monday....finally, new laundry machines day! The dryer has been broken for a full 9 days now, and the expected 5 day delivery is actually 8 days. And also -- stay at home all day because the delivery window is 8am-8pm.  Sweet hubby managed to disconnect the old washer/dryer and I cleaned out the laundry room (while also wrangling the two small children who are home all summer now).  The machine arrived while we were eating lunch.  Sweet hubby got everything hooked up. I started to wash a load -- not totally happy about some of the features of the new machine.  Put them in the dryer....And the machine makes the LOUDEST noise I have ever heard.  Constant, LOUD, not-normal noise. 

It will have to be replaced.

Again.

I had really been hoping to dry MANY loads of laundry in a new dryer.  Accumulating dirty things to wash and dry in a dryer rather than on a clothesline. 

And now.  The store will not simply replace the machine, though it is clearly defective. Sweet hubby has spent two days now repeating the saga over and over again to countless different store and washer/dryer brand representatives.

I AM DONE WITH IT. 

The combination of what are now 11 days with having to super-plan laundry (will I have enough space on the tiny clothesline? will it rain? will I be able to iron this? will we all have enough clean underwear? how long can the sheets stay dirty before we run out of sheets when the girls wet the bed? will this be out long enough to dry before bedtime? etc.) and having sweet hubby sleeping/lying down in the dark all day every day in my project room is getting on my nerves.  He's sweet.  I love him.  I am accustomed to having my own space to get my own things done on my own time schedule.  I currently do not have my own space and cannot accomplish things on my own time schedule.  Sweet hubby and I were making good progress on the yellow-to-grey-chair conversion.  There will be no progress until he is totally better and back to work.

 I feel very grumpy about it.

He WILL eventually return to work (maybe tomorrow? maybe not?).  The washer/dryer WILL eventually get replaced (and I better not have to pay extra for it!).  The ENDLESS on-boarding forms/meetings for teaching next school year will eventually have to end (right?  please say they will end soon).  We will eventually finish that chair. I will eventually get to spend some of my time finishing the projects I've started.

I will eventually feel less grumpy about all of this.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

if you met me...

Linking up at the Gypsy Mama . If you met me.... I'd be happy to chat for a little while, unless I was watching the clock and trying to manage my time. Sometimes I try, sometimes I don't. If you met me at school, I'd only speak to you in Spanish. For real. Unless there were no kids around, in which case I could speak to you in English. If you met me at the beach, I'd be running around in my pjs or a bikini. All the time. I think I even forgot to pack shorts for the current beach trip. Who needs shorts when there are bikinis and sunshine? If you met me, you might think I'm ridiculous about how much I love my husband and our cat. And please don't ask me, after you hear that we've been married for five years, if we have any kids. If I didn't mention any, I probably don't have any. And if I didn't mention on my own that I one day want to have kids, don't ask me when I'm planning to. I think it is rude, and personal, and you never kn

five minute friday

Linking up for Five Minute Friday hosted by the gypsy mama. It's Friday morning, there is no school today, and I am wide awake. I have been since about 20 minutes after my alarm usually goes off. I grabbed the cat, shoved her under the covers, and told sweet hubby "Merry Christmas". He wasn't very amused, starting scratching my head to get me to go back to sleep...but I am awake. Awake, and awakening, and growing in awareness. Last weekend was a wake-up call to me. We had a couple of friends over to watch movies on Saturday night, and by Sunday, sweet hubby and I were not on speaking terms. When we finally spoke again, late on Tuesday, I said painful words to sweet hubby.... If you are the person who was in my living room on Saturday night, then I don't want to know you. --I'm not.-- Then you will have to show me. And so we are both awakening to the task of rediscovering how to be good to one another, kind, respectful, building one another up as we r

so far away

Linking up to the Gypsy Mama's five minute Friday.... Chile is so far away. My husband's homeland, the place where he most wants to be. His mama is there, his daddy is there, his brothers and cousins and grandmas and the people who mattered most to him for so so so long are there, and we are here. Here in the very different US, with values thrown at us everyday that seem to say that his childhood was inferior and that returning to a life like that would be the most unwise choice. Here, where the only way to get from one place to another is by car. Here, where without a college degree a "real job" is impossible to come by. Here, where being a legal resident costs thousands of dollars, time, and ridiculous interviews where people question whether you are actually married. Distance is what happens when it is time for the holidays, time to remember family traditions, and the people who are still celebrating them, even though he is far away, thrust into the midst of