Skip to main content

Getting it done, part 14

Well.  Yesterday was an interesting day.

The dryer broke (it's shooting sparks!) (but it didn't start a fire!), so we'll be replacing the washer/dryer combo. Delivery estimate is 8 days.  Good thing we have a clothesline outside!  And, does this give me a reasonable excuse for not keeping up with the laundry over the next week?  I believe so. 

Also, Miss Middle has decided to act like she is four.  Not in a good way.  She is getting in to all sorts of stuff that she would have left alone before, and blaming her pretend daughter (Kelsin -- no idea where she got the name), and trying to skip her nap.  It is no good. (She will be four this summer, but I was not really mentally ready for this!)

And then we went to a graduation party for some family friends, and as I parked the car, I totally busted a tire.  The whole thing will have to be replaced.  One hundred percent my fault.

I have the best husband.  He didn't fuss at me (beyond the initial, didn't you see that before you hit it? which no, clearly I did not, or I wouldn't have hit it) but sent me and the kids inside and worked in the heat to put the spare on the van.  He tried to help me feel better about my (dumb, unnecessary, costly) mistake.

I also have the best parents.  My mom and dad are loaning me a car and will help me get my car to our preferred mechanic.  What a privilege, to only be inconvenienced (and out some money, too) but not to be totally stuck for this error/accident.

The "baby" has a fever and the gunk, so sweet hubby has taken him to the doctor.  I think I got out of doctor duty since it is mother's day. Small blessings!

There are only four more school days for Miss Middle and the "baby," so this fever could seriously limit my ability to finish the second yellow-to-grey chair conversion in a timely fashion.

Here's what I've been getting done:
1. Mending/child clothing fixing: Added bra-strap-snaps to a thin-strapped dress of mine; added new elastic to a skirt for Peanut; stitched up a hole in a different dress of mine.

2. Adding pockets to pocket-less dresses.  Bonus of upcycling too-small clothes into the pockets.


3. Ordered and pre-washed fabric to re-make a dress I like, but that is too short. Good thing I was able to shrink the fabric once before the dryer broke!  I might wait until the new dryer is here to re-pre-wash and shrink the fabric a few more times before I cut into it.  Or I might get impatient and start on it anyway.  Or if the "baby" is sick and home this week, it might get pushed much farther down on the to-do list.

4. Finished fabric removal for yellow chair number 2; cut out grey fabric; began sewing parts together. I'm anticipating re-assembly to be fairly quick -- the real challenge is finding evenings when my husband and I can work on it together.

Overall, I'm pleased with the number of projects I've been able to take on and finish throughout the first half of the year. Yes, I know May is only the fifth month, and that May is less than halfway over...but the end of the preschool school-year was set as my benchmark when the New Year's resolution was set in January, and we are only four days away from the end of preschool. I could still do better about doing "real" things instead of getting on my phone in quiet moments, but progress is definitely progress and I can see it and name it and give physical examples of what I have done with my time in a way I couldn't really do in the first half of this school year.  Though not perfect, improvement is noted, and improvement is inspiring me to continue moving forward, even if it will be at a much slower pace.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

if you met me...

Linking up at the Gypsy Mama . If you met me.... I'd be happy to chat for a little while, unless I was watching the clock and trying to manage my time. Sometimes I try, sometimes I don't. If you met me at school, I'd only speak to you in Spanish. For real. Unless there were no kids around, in which case I could speak to you in English. If you met me at the beach, I'd be running around in my pjs or a bikini. All the time. I think I even forgot to pack shorts for the current beach trip. Who needs shorts when there are bikinis and sunshine? If you met me, you might think I'm ridiculous about how much I love my husband and our cat. And please don't ask me, after you hear that we've been married for five years, if we have any kids. If I didn't mention any, I probably don't have any. And if I didn't mention on my own that I one day want to have kids, don't ask me when I'm planning to. I think it is rude, and personal, and you never kn

five minute friday

Linking up for Five Minute Friday hosted by the gypsy mama. It's Friday morning, there is no school today, and I am wide awake. I have been since about 20 minutes after my alarm usually goes off. I grabbed the cat, shoved her under the covers, and told sweet hubby "Merry Christmas". He wasn't very amused, starting scratching my head to get me to go back to sleep...but I am awake. Awake, and awakening, and growing in awareness. Last weekend was a wake-up call to me. We had a couple of friends over to watch movies on Saturday night, and by Sunday, sweet hubby and I were not on speaking terms. When we finally spoke again, late on Tuesday, I said painful words to sweet hubby.... If you are the person who was in my living room on Saturday night, then I don't want to know you. --I'm not.-- Then you will have to show me. And so we are both awakening to the task of rediscovering how to be good to one another, kind, respectful, building one another up as we r

so far away

Linking up to the Gypsy Mama's five minute Friday.... Chile is so far away. My husband's homeland, the place where he most wants to be. His mama is there, his daddy is there, his brothers and cousins and grandmas and the people who mattered most to him for so so so long are there, and we are here. Here in the very different US, with values thrown at us everyday that seem to say that his childhood was inferior and that returning to a life like that would be the most unwise choice. Here, where the only way to get from one place to another is by car. Here, where without a college degree a "real job" is impossible to come by. Here, where being a legal resident costs thousands of dollars, time, and ridiculous interviews where people question whether you are actually married. Distance is what happens when it is time for the holidays, time to remember family traditions, and the people who are still celebrating them, even though he is far away, thrust into the midst of