Skip to main content

pink things! (and New York)

Get ready. It's long.

Let's start with some pink things. Because I like them.

These are just a few of the pink things I spotted in New York:


A vase, with an elephant included, at the Metropolitan Museum of Art.


Pink flowers on the High Line, at night time.


A little girl dressed up for the jazz age lawn party on Governor's Island. Isn't she a treat?

I love pink things!

And I loved my trip to visit New York, and Roommate!

You'll remember that the packing situation was a little interesting -- trying not to pay for a carry-on bag. It worked out. Look at all of these clothes that I took with me! (And look how small that bag is!) (Also, please don't be alarmed by the herd of elephants in the background. The summer I was 18, my grandmother had the room redone with lots of "color", meaning brown, brown, and more brown....the elephants take some getting used to, but definitely block out the light....I can sleep until all hours in that bedroom.)


I folded them carefully and stacked them with care.


Then I added a few toiletries, the iPad, and set my purse on top of it all....And avoided paying the $40 at the gate that the airline was charging some unfortunate people who had forgotten to read the fine print.


And so you can see the real size of that bag, in context with a human being....Here I am with Roommate, and again with my traveling buddy for the upcoming trip to Scotland.




I was in NY from Wednesday until Saturday. It was a full visit. Here's a list:
Wed.:
1. Lunch near Roommate's office
2. Natural History Museum
3. Supper at a taqueria, extremely tasty.
4. Museo del Barrio
Thurs.:
1. Metropolitan Museum of Art
2. Lunch
3. Metropolitan Museum of Art
4. Supper with traveling buddy and Roommate
5. Walk in Hudson River Park
6. Walk on the High Line
7. Dessert in Times Square. Yum.
Fri.:
1. Tour of UN
2. Lunch with Roommate (Vietnamese food -- YUM.)
3. The Frick Collection
4. Jimmy's Cheesecake.
5. Drinks. Beginning of baseball game.
6. Mary Poppins! (very entertaining -- lots of fun!)
7. Home just in time to see the bottom of the 13th inning and the gamecocks winning! (this was semifinals).
Sat.:
1. Governor's island Jazz Age Lawn Party. Treats!
2. Airport....back to the beach for family beach week!

It was a busy but fun trip, leading into a busy but fun family beach week. This summer has had some great vacations in it already....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

if you met me...

Linking up at the Gypsy Mama . If you met me.... I'd be happy to chat for a little while, unless I was watching the clock and trying to manage my time. Sometimes I try, sometimes I don't. If you met me at school, I'd only speak to you in Spanish. For real. Unless there were no kids around, in which case I could speak to you in English. If you met me at the beach, I'd be running around in my pjs or a bikini. All the time. I think I even forgot to pack shorts for the current beach trip. Who needs shorts when there are bikinis and sunshine? If you met me, you might think I'm ridiculous about how much I love my husband and our cat. And please don't ask me, after you hear that we've been married for five years, if we have any kids. If I didn't mention any, I probably don't have any. And if I didn't mention on my own that I one day want to have kids, don't ask me when I'm planning to. I think it is rude, and personal, and you never kn

five minute friday

Linking up for Five Minute Friday hosted by the gypsy mama. It's Friday morning, there is no school today, and I am wide awake. I have been since about 20 minutes after my alarm usually goes off. I grabbed the cat, shoved her under the covers, and told sweet hubby "Merry Christmas". He wasn't very amused, starting scratching my head to get me to go back to sleep...but I am awake. Awake, and awakening, and growing in awareness. Last weekend was a wake-up call to me. We had a couple of friends over to watch movies on Saturday night, and by Sunday, sweet hubby and I were not on speaking terms. When we finally spoke again, late on Tuesday, I said painful words to sweet hubby.... If you are the person who was in my living room on Saturday night, then I don't want to know you. --I'm not.-- Then you will have to show me. And so we are both awakening to the task of rediscovering how to be good to one another, kind, respectful, building one another up as we r

so far away

Linking up to the Gypsy Mama's five minute Friday.... Chile is so far away. My husband's homeland, the place where he most wants to be. His mama is there, his daddy is there, his brothers and cousins and grandmas and the people who mattered most to him for so so so long are there, and we are here. Here in the very different US, with values thrown at us everyday that seem to say that his childhood was inferior and that returning to a life like that would be the most unwise choice. Here, where the only way to get from one place to another is by car. Here, where without a college degree a "real job" is impossible to come by. Here, where being a legal resident costs thousands of dollars, time, and ridiculous interviews where people question whether you are actually married. Distance is what happens when it is time for the holidays, time to remember family traditions, and the people who are still celebrating them, even though he is far away, thrust into the midst of