Skip to main content

Life in the time of Corona, part 6

Well, the sewing/creating inspiration has been low and slow.  After the last good bit of making, I retreated into a "the mess is overwhelming so I won't do anything at all" sort of funk....and I'm only barely beginning to try to get myself out of it.

I *did* make some bathing suit bottoms, hacking the Avery leggings pattern.  They are wonderful to wear -- a little longer than the "boy short" bathing suit bottoms I have recently bought from Target, and very comfortable.  They require less of two things I don't love -- less sunscreen and less shaving. They match the swim shirt I made, using the Jade pattern.  I also made two bathing suit tops, beginning with the Hyacinth free bralette by OhhhLulu, and a pair of traditionally shaped bathing suit bottoms using the Stevie Knickers pattern.  Combined with a top or two from Old Navy and a swim shirt from Lands End, I have quite the mix-and-match set of bathing suits to meet all my different swimming/beach preferences.

Somewhere along the way, we spur of the moment planned a beach photo session with our favorite family photographer.  I managed to stitch up a jon-jon for "the baby" out of an old shirt of sweet hubby's, and cut out the pieces for a pair of coordinating geranium dresses for the girls.  The dresses were assembled at the beach house in the week leading up to the photo shoot (which got rescheduled, in the end, after the effort to make sure I finished the dresses in time....)

Then I ordered more fabric (because....is it an addiction?  a terrible use of free time to search different sites for fabric?  an alternate reality where I think I will actually keep up with using everything I purchase?).  Some of it coordinated nicely with previous purchases, and was cut up and made into a pair of kitty-cat dresses for the girls.  "The baby" got a new kitty-cat t-shirt.  A couple of ruffle-tees and another jon-jon were started.  And then, we left for the beach house again.  Our scheduled "long week" (a week and two weekends) turned into almost two full weeks away, and almost no motivation to sew.  I've only *just* managed to convince myself to pull the in-progress pieces back out from being packed up for travel; I've pinned them, and at some point either this afternoon or evening, I intend to sit down at the sewing machine and get a little more done....The only thing left on the ruffle tees is to attach the ruffle.  The jon jon does have a few more steps left to complete, but overall shouldn't sit there waiting and waiting, either....or it will suddenly no longer be summer weather, and "the baby" will have grown out of it, and that would truly be a shame. I'm hopeful that some small victories in the project room will motivate me to begin some of the many other projects waiting in lists and stacks of fabric.


In non-sewing endeavors, I've been trying to get my yard back under control.  Even though it's way too hot for yard work, while the kids play in our backyard, I've been trying to pull weeds and vines and keep the space in as good condition as I can for when we are back in town full time in the fall.  Except I'm secretly (ok, not so secretly) hoping that in the fall, and also for a few more really large chunks of time this summer, that we'll be at the beach again.  My parents and husband agree that our children will stay home with me in the fall, as school "starts back" in whatever form that takes this year.  I'm still waiting for information from the girls' school about whether their special immersion program will be available in virtual format or not; if not, I will be homeschooling them using whatever I (we? mostly I) decide are the best schedule and materials.  It is daunting to research, but I am comforted by some friends who either were homeschooled or are homeschooling their children.  The real question is becoming, "will sweet hubby go back to school in the fall?"  Because as a music teacher, he, under normal circumstances, sees every single child in the school (700+ students) each week.  That is WAY TOO MANY for me to feel comfortable sending him into a school building, given the current spread of Covid-19 in our region.  I think the uncertainty of the fall/school situation is leading to some of my inability/lack of desire to get projects going in the sewing room or to get the cleaning/sorting/putting away going everywhere in the house.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

five minute friday

Linking up for Five Minute Friday hosted by the gypsy mama. It's Friday morning, there is no school today, and I am wide awake. I have been since about 20 minutes after my alarm usually goes off. I grabbed the cat, shoved her under the covers, and told sweet hubby "Merry Christmas". He wasn't very amused, starting scratching my head to get me to go back to sleep...but I am awake. Awake, and awakening, and growing in awareness. Last weekend was a wake-up call to me. We had a couple of friends over to watch movies on Saturday night, and by Sunday, sweet hubby and I were not on speaking terms. When we finally spoke again, late on Tuesday, I said painful words to sweet hubby.... If you are the person who was in my living room on Saturday night, then I don't want to know you. --I'm not.-- Then you will have to show me. And so we are both awakening to the task of rediscovering how to be good to one another, kind, respectful, building one another up as we r

adult decisions

(No, not x-rated, you're looking in the wrong place.) I was supposed to go on a college church retreat this weekend. And I didn't. I was very "unresponsible" and made the best decision for me -- not to go. I would have loved spending time in the mountains. I would have loved getting to know some of the students a little bit better. I would have loved spending time taking in God's majesty while watching the sun rise or set over the lake, singing songs of praise, hiking, walking the labyrinth, or sitting in a rocking chair on the front porch. Except that this weekend, I wouldn't have loved any of those things. They would have been a burden to me. And a church retreat? I'm fairly certain that it is not supposed to feel like a burden, but more like a blessing. When sweet hubby's good friend called me and texted me to see if he could ride with me, I said no. I couldn't handle the idea of talking to this man for three hours in the car af

if you met me...

Linking up at the Gypsy Mama . If you met me.... I'd be happy to chat for a little while, unless I was watching the clock and trying to manage my time. Sometimes I try, sometimes I don't. If you met me at school, I'd only speak to you in Spanish. For real. Unless there were no kids around, in which case I could speak to you in English. If you met me at the beach, I'd be running around in my pjs or a bikini. All the time. I think I even forgot to pack shorts for the current beach trip. Who needs shorts when there are bikinis and sunshine? If you met me, you might think I'm ridiculous about how much I love my husband and our cat. And please don't ask me, after you hear that we've been married for five years, if we have any kids. If I didn't mention any, I probably don't have any. And if I didn't mention on my own that I one day want to have kids, don't ask me when I'm planning to. I think it is rude, and personal, and you never kn