Skip to main content

Job stuff

So I had an interview for a non-teaching job yesterday.  Yesterday was also the last day for me to accept a particular teaching job. 

The interview did not go great, in my opinion.  I don't have the skill set that the company was looking for, I wasn't feeling 100%, and I really didn't sell myself well.  I tried to emphasize that I'm good at learning, very organized, my strengths, while also being honest that I really don't have the skill set they are looking for -- but that I think what they are looking for can be learned.  I didn't go home feeling great about it.

I have been looking at all sorts of job descriptions online, hoping that almost anything other than teaching would jump out at me as a great choice, a fantastic career move, the right job to bridge my teaching skills and expertise in the education world with a financially more lucrative career.  Though a few jobs at the state department of education looked intriguing to me, I didn't sell myself well enough on my resume and cover letter to merit an interview, and I don't have a personal connection to anyone at the state department of education to give me that extra push forward in the hiring process.

So I let the principal of the school where I will be teaching in the fall know that I am "so excited" to be joining them in the fall.

The truth is, half of me still wants to stay home and work on my own things -- take care of the to-do list, drive kids to and from school, take the "baby" to storytime at the library, spend time in the craft room, be available for all of the last minute things. The other half of me wants to be paid (so much) more than what a teacher can earn for giving up the availability, the presence, the time that I've been able to give by going back to work. 

The reality is that staying home is not a viable long-term option for me, unless somehow my hobby of making things turns into a profitable business, and I'm not really interested in that.  At some point, I've got to start putting money back into savings, instead of just pulling it out.  I'm the more educated and more experienced earner in my family, too; my earning capacity (even as a teacher, the most underpaid profession on the planet, followed closely by nursing) outpaces my husband's.

I'm not super thrilled to be heading back into a classroom.  The planning and teaching -- those are fine.  The having to wait until another adult is available in order to use the bathroom, the very sad family situations some kids bring to the classroom, the meetings all the time and the expectation that I will give 500 percent of myself to my job -- those I could do without.

But I'm officially stopping the job search, for this year.  I'll be earning a decent paycheck, instead of drawing money from savings.  I'll have at least one of my children at the school with me (hopefully two of them, but we have to keep checking on the pre-k spot -- she's the only one we're uncertain of at this point, for the fall); one in daycare, and I'm satisfied that I know and like the program coordinator.  The principal of this school seems like she is all business and knows what she likes. 

I am going to turn down the offer to teach at my oldest's current school, and she'll be moving with me to my new school. While there are things I really like about the program she is in, some of them are the exact same things that make me not want to teach in that program.  (Things that are great for students are sometimes a whole lot more work for teachers.)  My oldest's school for sure had a spot for miss middle in pre-K, so that feels like a little bit of a loss -- but I'm going to trust that it will work out as it should, and that if she can't get into a pre-K program at my school or hubby's school, that there will be a spot for her in day care with baby brother. Pre-K would be preferable, of course.

And in the meantime, I'll be trying to figure out a five year plan -- something that will let me go back to school, study a field with higher earning potential and less day-to-day stress than teaching, and also spend time with my family.  That is the biggest perk of teaching, of course -- having (mostly) the same daily schedule and holidays as my kids. I'm going to choose to look at this as the best option for right now -- I'm available when they are available (ok, not for the "baby" who will be 2 in the fall), and I'm earning something rather than just spending something. 


Comments

  1. Life and money and jobs and families. Adulting is hard as they say. I hope that your new job proves to be good in more ways that you can anticipate . . . and that you find your groove and a way to keep making all the beautiful things you do!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

if you met me...

Linking up at the Gypsy Mama . If you met me.... I'd be happy to chat for a little while, unless I was watching the clock and trying to manage my time. Sometimes I try, sometimes I don't. If you met me at school, I'd only speak to you in Spanish. For real. Unless there were no kids around, in which case I could speak to you in English. If you met me at the beach, I'd be running around in my pjs or a bikini. All the time. I think I even forgot to pack shorts for the current beach trip. Who needs shorts when there are bikinis and sunshine? If you met me, you might think I'm ridiculous about how much I love my husband and our cat. And please don't ask me, after you hear that we've been married for five years, if we have any kids. If I didn't mention any, I probably don't have any. And if I didn't mention on my own that I one day want to have kids, don't ask me when I'm planning to. I think it is rude, and personal, and you never kn

five minute friday

Linking up for Five Minute Friday hosted by the gypsy mama. It's Friday morning, there is no school today, and I am wide awake. I have been since about 20 minutes after my alarm usually goes off. I grabbed the cat, shoved her under the covers, and told sweet hubby "Merry Christmas". He wasn't very amused, starting scratching my head to get me to go back to sleep...but I am awake. Awake, and awakening, and growing in awareness. Last weekend was a wake-up call to me. We had a couple of friends over to watch movies on Saturday night, and by Sunday, sweet hubby and I were not on speaking terms. When we finally spoke again, late on Tuesday, I said painful words to sweet hubby.... If you are the person who was in my living room on Saturday night, then I don't want to know you. --I'm not.-- Then you will have to show me. And so we are both awakening to the task of rediscovering how to be good to one another, kind, respectful, building one another up as we r

so far away

Linking up to the Gypsy Mama's five minute Friday.... Chile is so far away. My husband's homeland, the place where he most wants to be. His mama is there, his daddy is there, his brothers and cousins and grandmas and the people who mattered most to him for so so so long are there, and we are here. Here in the very different US, with values thrown at us everyday that seem to say that his childhood was inferior and that returning to a life like that would be the most unwise choice. Here, where the only way to get from one place to another is by car. Here, where without a college degree a "real job" is impossible to come by. Here, where being a legal resident costs thousands of dollars, time, and ridiculous interviews where people question whether you are actually married. Distance is what happens when it is time for the holidays, time to remember family traditions, and the people who are still celebrating them, even though he is far away, thrust into the midst of