Skip to main content

March update

So far....an update on New Year's goals:
1. One of the friends I thought I was getting closer to....canceled our last play-date, and it's up to her to reschedule...and I don't think she will.  You win some, you lose some...I'm not sure if I did something/said something/what happened....but I think that friendship, that was just starting to grow, is maybe not growing.
2. One long time family friend who has sort of come and gone over the years has come to eat with us twice!  Once in January, once in February, and I've just sent a message to invite her back in March. 
3. I stepped out of my comfort zone and let a group of ladies that I sort-of-knew know that I would like to be invited along the next time they went out together....and they invited me, and I went, and I ended up organizing our next  get-together, and we had a lot of fun.  I have high hopes that this group of ladies will continue to go out together (and that I will continue to be part of the group!).
4. I invited my church friend with similarly aged children to join the group mentioned in #3 on our last outing (we needed another person for the escape room!), and she joined us, and I think that friendship is in a slow but steady growth process, as well.

I've been actively looking for solutions to some of our other challenges lately.  Specifically, I've been looking for ways to help my oldest, Peanut, to have a better experience at preschool.  After a meeting with one of her preschool teachers, it was arranged for me to observe Peanut in the other teacher's class.  Observing was eye-opening.  One of Peanut's teachers apparently has very poor classroom management skills.  So much yelling!  And her assistant just sat and watched and played a game on the computer!  I was not very impressed with what I saw.  Though I have experience in a similar teaching setting, I don't feel that I'm in the position to offer constructive criticism.  So I have decided to be more flexible with Peanut -- yes, she is a contributing factor to her troubles in the classroom, but she is not the whole problem, at all.  Peanut will not nap in this particular teacher's classroom (she will in the other), and they rotate days, so when I can, I will pick her up early from school.  It is a full-day program....but there are plenty of 4 year olds who do not go to preschool at all, and there are plenty of 4 year olds who only go to half day schools, and she is, after all, only 4 years old.  I've done it once so far -- picked her up in time to go pick up Miss Middle, and then home for lunch (Peanut had eaten at school, but sat at the table with us), then a nice, long snooze.  She woke up around the same time I would normally have picked her up from a full day at school....and she was SO PLEASANT to be around.  It was a revelation.  I am sorry I did not think of this solution sooner, and also I am so glad that I thought of it at all and that the first time went so well that I want to do it again.

Baby boy is nearly 5 months old, and rolls off the blanket every single time he is put down.  He smiles, he coos, he laughs....but he does not nap.  Accepting all ideas for getting a sweet, active, fun, and tired baby to nap!

Miss Middle....she's doing just fine.  Acts out for attention, every now and then, but mostly remembers we prefer that she ask for nuggles when she needs us to look at her. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

five minute friday

Linking up for Five Minute Friday hosted by the gypsy mama. It's Friday morning, there is no school today, and I am wide awake. I have been since about 20 minutes after my alarm usually goes off. I grabbed the cat, shoved her under the covers, and told sweet hubby "Merry Christmas". He wasn't very amused, starting scratching my head to get me to go back to sleep...but I am awake. Awake, and awakening, and growing in awareness. Last weekend was a wake-up call to me. We had a couple of friends over to watch movies on Saturday night, and by Sunday, sweet hubby and I were not on speaking terms. When we finally spoke again, late on Tuesday, I said painful words to sweet hubby.... If you are the person who was in my living room on Saturday night, then I don't want to know you. --I'm not.-- Then you will have to show me. And so we are both awakening to the task of rediscovering how to be good to one another, kind, respectful, building one another up as we r

adult decisions

(No, not x-rated, you're looking in the wrong place.) I was supposed to go on a college church retreat this weekend. And I didn't. I was very "unresponsible" and made the best decision for me -- not to go. I would have loved spending time in the mountains. I would have loved getting to know some of the students a little bit better. I would have loved spending time taking in God's majesty while watching the sun rise or set over the lake, singing songs of praise, hiking, walking the labyrinth, or sitting in a rocking chair on the front porch. Except that this weekend, I wouldn't have loved any of those things. They would have been a burden to me. And a church retreat? I'm fairly certain that it is not supposed to feel like a burden, but more like a blessing. When sweet hubby's good friend called me and texted me to see if he could ride with me, I said no. I couldn't handle the idea of talking to this man for three hours in the car af

if you met me...

Linking up at the Gypsy Mama . If you met me.... I'd be happy to chat for a little while, unless I was watching the clock and trying to manage my time. Sometimes I try, sometimes I don't. If you met me at school, I'd only speak to you in Spanish. For real. Unless there were no kids around, in which case I could speak to you in English. If you met me at the beach, I'd be running around in my pjs or a bikini. All the time. I think I even forgot to pack shorts for the current beach trip. Who needs shorts when there are bikinis and sunshine? If you met me, you might think I'm ridiculous about how much I love my husband and our cat. And please don't ask me, after you hear that we've been married for five years, if we have any kids. If I didn't mention any, I probably don't have any. And if I didn't mention on my own that I one day want to have kids, don't ask me when I'm planning to. I think it is rude, and personal, and you never kn