Skip to main content

New year, new goals

Well... probably mostly the same goal -- Get it done.

So here's a current picture of my "projects to do" board.

The notes on the bottom are completed projects, big and small.  One sticky note holds "monogram hairbow" and another reads "reupholster 2 chairs" -- full spectrum for size and scope of projects....but a visual reminder to me of how much I have actually managed to physically create this year.  The notes on the top are projects still waiting for their turn to be completed; pink notes are from 2019 and orange were added to the board today. I'm considering taking the completed pinks off the board (it is a new year, after all)....but I might leave them up there and just tack the completed notes from this year on top and in between.  We'll see as the year progresses -- I'm not ready for that decision today. 

So my big goals in the craft room this year are:
1. Reupholster the love seat. This one has been on the list for a while, now, and is probably about to get its turn, when the rest of my family heads back to school next week.  

2. Quiet book for "the baby".  He's two; he'll start sitting with us for big church soon; he needs an entertaining book to keep him busy and quiet in the pew.  Or at the doctor's office.  Or waiting for big sisters to finish dance class. Or wherever, really. 

3. Start a scrap quilt.  Use up the zillions of accumulated bits and bobs and turn them into something useful....or at the very least, get started on it.  Use a variety of different block styles (improv, maybe? or cut them all into matching sized squares?  or do a mixture of anything possible to use up and combine the fabric into something useful?) -- whatever I end up choosing, to make use of the ample scrap stash, hopefully reducing it. 

4. Clothe myself.  I have some fabrics and patterns (thanks, Rae!) that I've mentally matched.  It would be pretty awesome to be able to replace a few ill-fitting items currently in my closet with some newer, nicer, hand-made, better fitting items.  These include a Beatrix top, Isla dress, Jade tee, and if I really get brave, maybe some Rose shorts or pants. 

Some smaller goals in the craft room are:
5. Turn our old bathroom curtains into kitchen curtains

6. Monogram some clothing (dresses, bathing suits, hairbows, bloomers, toddler clothes) for the kids

7. Doll bed mattresses, pillows, and doll stroller labels

8. Drawstring lego playmat


I think all of these goals are reasonable, especially since I have walked away from my return to the classroom.  Which still doesn't feel real, because students haven't returned to school from break yet, and still don't know that I'm not returning (my principal discouraged me from telling them goodbye -- I still have strong opinions about that, but also -- I'm not going back.  So I don't need to worry about that.)

In addition to my goals in the craft room, which I'm sure will evolve and change (hopefully be completed and added to) over the year, I have some goals related to health and family. 

For health:
1. Physical activity, beyond toting around a 2 year old.  Like, re-learning how to walk/run for exercise.  One year, I ran a 5K or higher organized race each month -- it definitely kept me motivated to keep going out regularly to stay in shape, since I was spending money on the races.  I am not in shape to start this year with a 5K in January....but maybe by March or April. I'll be working exercise into my daily (weekday) schedule as I figure out and set my new daily routine, beginning next week. 

2. Better meal planning and resuming grocery shopping duties.  Something tells me that it would be a good idea to start buying and cooking vegetables again.  (That something might just be my belly poking over my very tight jeans waistband.)

3. Spend time in the Word regularly.  This will also be built into my new daily routine, starting when my family goes back to school.  I may look for a Bible study group to participate in; I may not -- I'll see how that goes over the next few weeks. 

For family:
1. Plan to send sweet hubby to see his Mama before, during, and after her brain surgery to remove her re-grown tumor

2. Plan a vacation for our family, that involves going somewhere other than the beach

3. Spend time at least once per month at the beach, as soon as the family beach house is habitable (currently undergoing interminable renovations)

4. Clear out and re-organize the clutter spots -- so we can enjoy and use the space we have in our house.  Immediate projects in this area include the toys, last summer's bathing suits, upstairs closet, all the baby gear, and the craft room. 

So, plenty of things to look forward to this year!  2020 is going to be great.  It feels like a lot of lofty goals....but I also will have a lot of time in which to accomplish them, if I stay focused and use my time without children in the house wisely.  Developing routines that maximize my time and help me to form productive habits will be key.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

if you met me...

Linking up at the Gypsy Mama . If you met me.... I'd be happy to chat for a little while, unless I was watching the clock and trying to manage my time. Sometimes I try, sometimes I don't. If you met me at school, I'd only speak to you in Spanish. For real. Unless there were no kids around, in which case I could speak to you in English. If you met me at the beach, I'd be running around in my pjs or a bikini. All the time. I think I even forgot to pack shorts for the current beach trip. Who needs shorts when there are bikinis and sunshine? If you met me, you might think I'm ridiculous about how much I love my husband and our cat. And please don't ask me, after you hear that we've been married for five years, if we have any kids. If I didn't mention any, I probably don't have any. And if I didn't mention on my own that I one day want to have kids, don't ask me when I'm planning to. I think it is rude, and personal, and you never kn...

so far away

Linking up to the Gypsy Mama's five minute Friday.... Chile is so far away. My husband's homeland, the place where he most wants to be. His mama is there, his daddy is there, his brothers and cousins and grandmas and the people who mattered most to him for so so so long are there, and we are here. Here in the very different US, with values thrown at us everyday that seem to say that his childhood was inferior and that returning to a life like that would be the most unwise choice. Here, where the only way to get from one place to another is by car. Here, where without a college degree a "real job" is impossible to come by. Here, where being a legal resident costs thousands of dollars, time, and ridiculous interviews where people question whether you are actually married. Distance is what happens when it is time for the holidays, time to remember family traditions, and the people who are still celebrating them, even though he is far away, thrust into the midst of...

January, Schmanuary....

 This month feels like it is going ON and ON and ON.  I guess 31 days in a single month can make it feel like the month will never end.   It's not a terrible month....it just....it feels like we aren't really getting anywhere.  I keep teaching my kids, we keep doing our "normal" routine of which books we work in and what subjects we study and where and how much we play outside....and the days, they all feel like more of the same.  I start each day calm, and quietly giving directions, and about two hours later all thoughts and feelings that "homeschooling is working for us, this is fine, I could totally keep doing this for another year" fall away and are replaced by feelings of anger and frustration and OMG could my kid please just listen to me ONE TIME and do what I ask her to do ONE TIME without me having to raise my voice? Well.  So that's how homeschooling is going. The homeschooling blogs and facebook groups all seem to agree that this is a tough t...