Skip to main content

Life: Not as Planned

1. Sweet hubby is having a resurgence of back pain and anxiety, which has led him to be home more days than he normally would, and has him dangerously close to exhausting his allotted sick days well before the year ends.  For me, this means a huge increase in childcare and house-care duties during times those duties would normally be shared, along with more restricted "after hours" movement.  (Like, nope, can't go out with friends or to special events, because what if "the baby" cries and needs to be picked up out of the crib?)  He's started physical therapy with a new-to-him practice that is much more holistic in approach than where he went last year, and he's scheduled an appointment with a counselor.  His mom is waiting (and waiting) to have an MRI, which will determine the timing of her brain tumor removal surgery, which is *probably* one of the leading causes of sweet hubby's anxiety right now, combined with fear that his back will do debilitating things in public, again. (Could that be PTSD?  I am not a mental health professional.)

2. I was beginning to have second thoughts about whether I had made the right choice when I resigned from my teaching position.  I had lunch with my previous partner teacher, who is both a mentor and friend, and from the few, brief descriptions of a couple of the situations at school, she very quickly agreed that I had made the right choice to disassociate myself from the school. And then later in the evening, I heard some more stories that further confirmed the right fit of the choice to leave. 

3. I'm about to switch gears on the projects and the making -- I've been working on a scrap quilt, and practicing new-to-me techniques like foundation paper piecing and regular piecing and improv piecing and also quilt-as-you-go.  The point is to use up a whole bunch of the small scraps and random pieces of fabric that have made their way into my box of scraps.  I started the quilt-as-you-go with the leftover batting from re-padding some of the parts of the grey chairs, and I'm almost at the end of that small stack.  I can't start the loveseat reupholstery until sweet hubby's back and brain are in a better place, so it looks like I'll be delving back into the small projects world. 

4. I cleaned out a whole bunch of kids toys today, and boxed them up while my kids were all at school.  I'm hopeful that they won't notice them missing until it is too late.  While I haven't been consistent at the cleaning something out everyday, I'm hopeful that it will become more of a habit.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

so far away

Linking up to the Gypsy Mama's five minute Friday.... Chile is so far away. My husband's homeland, the place where he most wants to be. His mama is there, his daddy is there, his brothers and cousins and grandmas and the people who mattered most to him for so so so long are there, and we are here. Here in the very different US, with values thrown at us everyday that seem to say that his childhood was inferior and that returning to a life like that would be the most unwise choice. Here, where the only way to get from one place to another is by car. Here, where without a college degree a "real job" is impossible to come by. Here, where being a legal resident costs thousands of dollars, time, and ridiculous interviews where people question whether you are actually married. Distance is what happens when it is time for the holidays, time to remember family traditions, and the people who are still celebrating them, even though he is far away, thrust into the midst of...

if you met me...

Linking up at the Gypsy Mama . If you met me.... I'd be happy to chat for a little while, unless I was watching the clock and trying to manage my time. Sometimes I try, sometimes I don't. If you met me at school, I'd only speak to you in Spanish. For real. Unless there were no kids around, in which case I could speak to you in English. If you met me at the beach, I'd be running around in my pjs or a bikini. All the time. I think I even forgot to pack shorts for the current beach trip. Who needs shorts when there are bikinis and sunshine? If you met me, you might think I'm ridiculous about how much I love my husband and our cat. And please don't ask me, after you hear that we've been married for five years, if we have any kids. If I didn't mention any, I probably don't have any. And if I didn't mention on my own that I one day want to have kids, don't ask me when I'm planning to. I think it is rude, and personal, and you never kn...

January, Schmanuary....

 This month feels like it is going ON and ON and ON.  I guess 31 days in a single month can make it feel like the month will never end.   It's not a terrible month....it just....it feels like we aren't really getting anywhere.  I keep teaching my kids, we keep doing our "normal" routine of which books we work in and what subjects we study and where and how much we play outside....and the days, they all feel like more of the same.  I start each day calm, and quietly giving directions, and about two hours later all thoughts and feelings that "homeschooling is working for us, this is fine, I could totally keep doing this for another year" fall away and are replaced by feelings of anger and frustration and OMG could my kid please just listen to me ONE TIME and do what I ask her to do ONE TIME without me having to raise my voice? Well.  So that's how homeschooling is going. The homeschooling blogs and facebook groups all seem to agree that this is a tough t...