Skip to main content

Getting it done, part 26: "the baby's" quiet book

It was a productive week!

I managed to finish "the baby's" quiet book.  (He's a little over age 2, but he's MY baby, so....)

There are imperfections on every page, and I'm fine with that.  My main hope is that this little book will be used and loved, whether it helps him sit quietly in church or not. I wouldn't be sad if it got kept in good enough condition for him to eventually share it with his own kids, if he has kids in the far off future.




So, here are a few pictures....


 The cover is made from this beautiful elephant print, which was, once upon a time, a pair of (too small for me) boxers.  I think it makes an excellent looking book. The book closes with a magnetic snap -- which is, so far, the only part that has interested "the baby."  That's ok -- he will have plenty of opportunities to explore and use this book. 

We have a couple of chickens in our back yard.  "The baby" loves to look for eggs, so he gets a chicken and some eggs in his book.  The nest doubles as a pocket, and the eggs are velcro on the back, with little velcro spots they can attach to on the page opposite of the chicken.




Tic-Tac-Toe is a bit above "the baby's" level right now, but eventually he will know how to play as well as his sisters do. I like to include a "challenge" skill/activity that will let the book grow with the child. 

 Buttons are always a fun activity for little fingers to practice! 

 And so are mazes.  I think it is hard to see the buttons through the grey mesh, but it is what I had on hand, and therefore it is what I used.  It's meant to be more of a tactile experience than visual, anyway. 


 There is an opposite page, too, with letters for "the baby's" name and some snap on fish -- all of which can be stored in this drawstring bag, if he's too busy to snap them back in place before moving to a different activity page. 



 Finger puppets (in a pocket), made out of the same flannel as one of "the baby's" cloths that he uses for sleeping. 


I'm happy with how it turned out, overall....and I'm VERY pleased that this book was made entirely from items that were already in my stash.  I spent ZERO dollars preparing for this project -- I had already spent the money preparing for a whole bunch of other projects, or I had collected the items through "useful craft material hoarding" in a way that was, in fact, useful.  

As I'm starting my new routines and habits this year, I'm trying to be mindful of my tendency to purchase supplies for a project that I intend to complete only to abandon the project or set the project so far onto the back burner that it doesn't ever seem to get done....So I'm also trying to use up what I have, and use up some more of what I have, and then use up a little more that is in my stash.  Most of the items on my make-nine list are things I already have the fabric and the patterns for -- I had grand intentions, but ran out of time (most recently ran out of time in May 2019, when the kids all got out of school and then I returned to work in August 2019....so having the time back right now is a really big motivating factor in trying to get these things DONE.)


The coming week will be slow -- a field trip with the Peanut, and an overnight away with my Mama, during a week where Monday was "lost" to a day off.  (Not lost, lost -- spent well with family and friends....but lost to crafting.)  I'm so glad to have the flexibility to make my family priority number one again. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

if you met me...

Linking up at the Gypsy Mama . If you met me.... I'd be happy to chat for a little while, unless I was watching the clock and trying to manage my time. Sometimes I try, sometimes I don't. If you met me at school, I'd only speak to you in Spanish. For real. Unless there were no kids around, in which case I could speak to you in English. If you met me at the beach, I'd be running around in my pjs or a bikini. All the time. I think I even forgot to pack shorts for the current beach trip. Who needs shorts when there are bikinis and sunshine? If you met me, you might think I'm ridiculous about how much I love my husband and our cat. And please don't ask me, after you hear that we've been married for five years, if we have any kids. If I didn't mention any, I probably don't have any. And if I didn't mention on my own that I one day want to have kids, don't ask me when I'm planning to. I think it is rude, and personal, and you never kn

five minute friday

Linking up for Five Minute Friday hosted by the gypsy mama. It's Friday morning, there is no school today, and I am wide awake. I have been since about 20 minutes after my alarm usually goes off. I grabbed the cat, shoved her under the covers, and told sweet hubby "Merry Christmas". He wasn't very amused, starting scratching my head to get me to go back to sleep...but I am awake. Awake, and awakening, and growing in awareness. Last weekend was a wake-up call to me. We had a couple of friends over to watch movies on Saturday night, and by Sunday, sweet hubby and I were not on speaking terms. When we finally spoke again, late on Tuesday, I said painful words to sweet hubby.... If you are the person who was in my living room on Saturday night, then I don't want to know you. --I'm not.-- Then you will have to show me. And so we are both awakening to the task of rediscovering how to be good to one another, kind, respectful, building one another up as we r

so far away

Linking up to the Gypsy Mama's five minute Friday.... Chile is so far away. My husband's homeland, the place where he most wants to be. His mama is there, his daddy is there, his brothers and cousins and grandmas and the people who mattered most to him for so so so long are there, and we are here. Here in the very different US, with values thrown at us everyday that seem to say that his childhood was inferior and that returning to a life like that would be the most unwise choice. Here, where the only way to get from one place to another is by car. Here, where without a college degree a "real job" is impossible to come by. Here, where being a legal resident costs thousands of dollars, time, and ridiculous interviews where people question whether you are actually married. Distance is what happens when it is time for the holidays, time to remember family traditions, and the people who are still celebrating them, even though he is far away, thrust into the midst of