Skip to main content

Ready to travel!

I'm getting ready to travel, and it is exciting!
I'm headed to Bangladesh, to visit one of my best friends, and I'm leaving behind sweet hubby and all three munchkins. I'm totally unprepared, and it will all be fine.

I spent a fair amount of time this past week working on a quilt top that I started probably 15 years ago -- I no longer own the book I got the pattern and directions out of; I stopped it at an awkward size but think I had originally intended to make it a full/queen size....

So I bought some coordinating fabric and added some borders.  The final dimensions are about 93"x100" and I'm convinced that there is no way I can wrestle it through my sewing machine with batting and backing and have anything close to a decent looking final result, so I'm very strongly considering sending it out for long arm quilting.  The trouble is, I don't think I would buy this quilt if I saw it in a store....I liked it when I started it, but it is entirely possible that my tastes have changed in the 15 years that have passed....So I'm struggling to rationalize the cost of finishing it with the satisfaction of finishing it.  I also pieced together enough leftover blocks (leftover from whatever mistake led me to leave the top at its awkward size long ago) to make two pillow shams, so I will want them quilted to match the big quilt, even though I could probably (straight line) quilt them myself. I am also nervous to send this top off for long arm quilting since it is not extremely well made -- there are definitely puckers and uneven seam allowances throughout, and I have read on many blogs that this can lead to less than ideal results.  But I did already call the long arm quilter that a very quilt-y friend of mine recommended, so here's hoping that having set that process in motion, I will stay on track and get this project finished, too. If you have an opinion about whether I should have it long arm quilted or abandon it, I'd be happy to hear it!



I still need to assemble the backing, but I do have the fabric for it.  It will be high on the list when I return from my trip, followed closely by yellow chair number 2 and another pile of mending that is accumulating. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

if you met me...

Linking up at the Gypsy Mama . If you met me.... I'd be happy to chat for a little while, unless I was watching the clock and trying to manage my time. Sometimes I try, sometimes I don't. If you met me at school, I'd only speak to you in Spanish. For real. Unless there were no kids around, in which case I could speak to you in English. If you met me at the beach, I'd be running around in my pjs or a bikini. All the time. I think I even forgot to pack shorts for the current beach trip. Who needs shorts when there are bikinis and sunshine? If you met me, you might think I'm ridiculous about how much I love my husband and our cat. And please don't ask me, after you hear that we've been married for five years, if we have any kids. If I didn't mention any, I probably don't have any. And if I didn't mention on my own that I one day want to have kids, don't ask me when I'm planning to. I think it is rude, and personal, and you never kn...

so far away

Linking up to the Gypsy Mama's five minute Friday.... Chile is so far away. My husband's homeland, the place where he most wants to be. His mama is there, his daddy is there, his brothers and cousins and grandmas and the people who mattered most to him for so so so long are there, and we are here. Here in the very different US, with values thrown at us everyday that seem to say that his childhood was inferior and that returning to a life like that would be the most unwise choice. Here, where the only way to get from one place to another is by car. Here, where without a college degree a "real job" is impossible to come by. Here, where being a legal resident costs thousands of dollars, time, and ridiculous interviews where people question whether you are actually married. Distance is what happens when it is time for the holidays, time to remember family traditions, and the people who are still celebrating them, even though he is far away, thrust into the midst of...

January, Schmanuary....

 This month feels like it is going ON and ON and ON.  I guess 31 days in a single month can make it feel like the month will never end.   It's not a terrible month....it just....it feels like we aren't really getting anywhere.  I keep teaching my kids, we keep doing our "normal" routine of which books we work in and what subjects we study and where and how much we play outside....and the days, they all feel like more of the same.  I start each day calm, and quietly giving directions, and about two hours later all thoughts and feelings that "homeschooling is working for us, this is fine, I could totally keep doing this for another year" fall away and are replaced by feelings of anger and frustration and OMG could my kid please just listen to me ONE TIME and do what I ask her to do ONE TIME without me having to raise my voice? Well.  So that's how homeschooling is going. The homeschooling blogs and facebook groups all seem to agree that this is a tough t...