Skip to main content

running group: take 3

the first two attempts can be found here and here.

Today was much better. I've still got at least twice more to go -- since I decided that five tries is a good effort -- but at least I'm feeling encouraged by today's running group experience.

It was a smaller group today -- there is a marathon, 1/2, and 10K run going on in my city, and several people were either waylaid by the traffic diversions because of the runs or running in them. However, there were still 5 people running in the 1/2 marathon training group, a couple in the walking group, and me.

There was still not much conversation at the beginning of the group, and no real meaningful conversation throughout the run, but I kept pace with another guy and we helped each other figure out the route. He kept me running a little faster than my normal, which was really good for me. And we got to gripe about the hills to one another. So I don't know his name, and we didn't talk about anything personal, but we ran together (not just 10 feet behind each other) and helped keep each other going. I'm sure we would have chatted afterwards, while cooling down and stretching, if he hadn't been in the 1/2 marathon training group and therefore going on to run three miles more than me this morning. I am proud of myself for getting up and running 6 miles this morning, after the crazy week I've had, and not having run at all since last Sunday. Dealing with the cat bite really put a damper on my physical activities this week.

So the running group? I'm feeling more enthusiastic about sticking with it for at least two more times. Although it might be a little while before I go again, since I'm hoping for a beach trip soon and have two races coming up back to back in the last weekends of March. They will be here so soon!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

so far away

Linking up to the Gypsy Mama's five minute Friday.... Chile is so far away. My husband's homeland, the place where he most wants to be. His mama is there, his daddy is there, his brothers and cousins and grandmas and the people who mattered most to him for so so so long are there, and we are here. Here in the very different US, with values thrown at us everyday that seem to say that his childhood was inferior and that returning to a life like that would be the most unwise choice. Here, where the only way to get from one place to another is by car. Here, where without a college degree a "real job" is impossible to come by. Here, where being a legal resident costs thousands of dollars, time, and ridiculous interviews where people question whether you are actually married. Distance is what happens when it is time for the holidays, time to remember family traditions, and the people who are still celebrating them, even though he is far away, thrust into the midst of...

if you met me...

Linking up at the Gypsy Mama . If you met me.... I'd be happy to chat for a little while, unless I was watching the clock and trying to manage my time. Sometimes I try, sometimes I don't. If you met me at school, I'd only speak to you in Spanish. For real. Unless there were no kids around, in which case I could speak to you in English. If you met me at the beach, I'd be running around in my pjs or a bikini. All the time. I think I even forgot to pack shorts for the current beach trip. Who needs shorts when there are bikinis and sunshine? If you met me, you might think I'm ridiculous about how much I love my husband and our cat. And please don't ask me, after you hear that we've been married for five years, if we have any kids. If I didn't mention any, I probably don't have any. And if I didn't mention on my own that I one day want to have kids, don't ask me when I'm planning to. I think it is rude, and personal, and you never kn...

January, Schmanuary....

 This month feels like it is going ON and ON and ON.  I guess 31 days in a single month can make it feel like the month will never end.   It's not a terrible month....it just....it feels like we aren't really getting anywhere.  I keep teaching my kids, we keep doing our "normal" routine of which books we work in and what subjects we study and where and how much we play outside....and the days, they all feel like more of the same.  I start each day calm, and quietly giving directions, and about two hours later all thoughts and feelings that "homeschooling is working for us, this is fine, I could totally keep doing this for another year" fall away and are replaced by feelings of anger and frustration and OMG could my kid please just listen to me ONE TIME and do what I ask her to do ONE TIME without me having to raise my voice? Well.  So that's how homeschooling is going. The homeschooling blogs and facebook groups all seem to agree that this is a tough t...