Skip to main content

Halfway through January, 2021

 Welp, we're back from the beach.  Hubby is out of travel related quarantine. The kids are overjoyed to be back with him.  I'm glad to be back home with him too, but probably overthinking every single thing, as I was when we were together before his trip.  We haven't had any of the tough conversations that we probably need to have, partially because it has only been a couple of days that we've been back under the same roof, and partially because it is no fun to have tough conversations, and I seem to avoid them at all costs. (Current cost appears to be my sleep.)

My immediate family has been extremely careful, since March, related to preventing contracting Covid-19.  I'm homeschooling my kids; hubby is wearing KN95 masks in the school building; brother and sister and their families taking similarly restrictive approaches to work and social lives. My extended family, on the other hand, who tend to have different political views than my family, have not been quite so careful, and as a result, my uncle died yesterday of Covid-19. He was in the hospital for about 10 days.  The case numbers in my state are staggeringly high.  It seems almost impossible to avoid, at this rate. Yet we carry on, only getting groceries curbside, avoiding almost all in-person shopping, only getting take-out from restaurants, avoiding all social gatherings, and so on. 

My uncle's death followed what seems to be a recurring pattern: he felt ill, had a hard time breathing, went to the hospital, was admitted, and received gradually more and more breathing support, until even that was not able to sustain him. My aunt received few updates, was not allowed to visit (until the VERY end), remained largely uninformed.  The hospital is overwhelmed with Covid cases, in addition to the regular cases that they would be treating, even after postponing routine health care services. It is heartbreaking. 

Well, changing topics. 

At the beginning of January, I posted my #makenine2021 goals on instagram. 


Some will sort of overlap -- like, hopefully I will use the serger to create the running clothes. 
Some will require feats of incredible effort -- like convincing the hubby that it is TIME to recover the loveseat, and then actually getting started. 
The scrap quilt is starting with a loose ambition to make at least one block per month. 
Time will tell how these goals go for this year!

For health/fitness, I'd like to continue to jog about 3 times a week, and continue to eat a fraction healthier than I did before.  So far, I've given up my daily Coca Cola habit -- since Dec. 24th, I haven't had a coke to drink at lunch.  This may seem trivial, but in the past this has given me terrible headaches, and I'm currently sitting at about 3 weeks off of the addiction....Also, I'd like to continue to eat more fruits and vegetables.  In the spring, when shopping first became so very difficult, I started buying a "food share box" of fruits and vegetables.  That group only lasted for a month or so, and then I switched to a different farm group doing curbside pickup, and after they failed to honor a reservation, I switched to ordering a vegetable and fruit basket from a local gardening center.  They are my favorite of the services, so far, and not only because they deliver....but the quality has been great, the vegetables and fruits follow the seasons and are local when possible, and trying to use them up before they go bad has helped encourage me to feed my family more fresh and homecooked meals. 

Should I make it a 2021 goal to finally start seeing a therapist/marriage counselor?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

so far away

Linking up to the Gypsy Mama's five minute Friday.... Chile is so far away. My husband's homeland, the place where he most wants to be. His mama is there, his daddy is there, his brothers and cousins and grandmas and the people who mattered most to him for so so so long are there, and we are here. Here in the very different US, with values thrown at us everyday that seem to say that his childhood was inferior and that returning to a life like that would be the most unwise choice. Here, where the only way to get from one place to another is by car. Here, where without a college degree a "real job" is impossible to come by. Here, where being a legal resident costs thousands of dollars, time, and ridiculous interviews where people question whether you are actually married. Distance is what happens when it is time for the holidays, time to remember family traditions, and the people who are still celebrating them, even though he is far away, thrust into the midst of...

if you met me...

Linking up at the Gypsy Mama . If you met me.... I'd be happy to chat for a little while, unless I was watching the clock and trying to manage my time. Sometimes I try, sometimes I don't. If you met me at school, I'd only speak to you in Spanish. For real. Unless there were no kids around, in which case I could speak to you in English. If you met me at the beach, I'd be running around in my pjs or a bikini. All the time. I think I even forgot to pack shorts for the current beach trip. Who needs shorts when there are bikinis and sunshine? If you met me, you might think I'm ridiculous about how much I love my husband and our cat. And please don't ask me, after you hear that we've been married for five years, if we have any kids. If I didn't mention any, I probably don't have any. And if I didn't mention on my own that I one day want to have kids, don't ask me when I'm planning to. I think it is rude, and personal, and you never kn...

January, Schmanuary....

 This month feels like it is going ON and ON and ON.  I guess 31 days in a single month can make it feel like the month will never end.   It's not a terrible month....it just....it feels like we aren't really getting anywhere.  I keep teaching my kids, we keep doing our "normal" routine of which books we work in and what subjects we study and where and how much we play outside....and the days, they all feel like more of the same.  I start each day calm, and quietly giving directions, and about two hours later all thoughts and feelings that "homeschooling is working for us, this is fine, I could totally keep doing this for another year" fall away and are replaced by feelings of anger and frustration and OMG could my kid please just listen to me ONE TIME and do what I ask her to do ONE TIME without me having to raise my voice? Well.  So that's how homeschooling is going. The homeschooling blogs and facebook groups all seem to agree that this is a tough t...