Skip to main content

Life in the time of Corona, part 13

 I just deleted a personal pity party (you are welcome!) and all that's left is this list, punctuated by some poorly lit pictures (and some disappeared as I was trying to move them into their correct places).  

For a few days, I managed to put my phone down and not spend much time on social media.  Instead, I focused on advancing a variety of sewing projects. 

1. The flying geese quilt is finished.  I think of it as "flight behavior," but I haven't made so many quilts that I need to name them.  I *did* go back and zig-zag the opposite direction for each of the nine columns.  I am more confident that it will survive what will likely turn into frequent washing.  I was able to bind the quilt with a large amount of leftover bias tape from making baby blankets for "the baby" three years ago, combined with a little bit of the same fabrics used in the quilt (but not cut on the bias). This quilt contains a variety of scrap fabrics that are meaningful to me: bits of one of my grandfather's work shirts, the same fabric as the ring sling I carried "the baby" in so often, the remnants of my first pairs of self-made shorts, several of hubby's old shirts.  The only thing I bought with this quilt in mind was the thread for quilting it.  

2. The apron dresses for the girls are awaiting buttons. Here's hoping that the buttons I ordered will look right when they arrive!  Though I was a bit confused about some of the instruction in the ikatee milano pattern, I think I figured it out well enough.  Though most pieces are rectangles, I'm not sure I would call it a beginner pattern. 

3. A sweatshirt for me, using the grainline Linden pattern.  I'm not sure I measured myself correctly for choosing a size, and it seems a little off on the proportions for my body (too wide, sleeves too long, neck hole too big); when I try it again, I'll shorten the sleeves and perhaps either go down a size or two or attempt to raise the neckline a bit. Though perhaps misproportioned for me, it is definitely cozy. 

4. Another Jade tee for me, and flashback skinny tee turned turtleneck for "the baby."  This time in solid red, and just in time for Christmas. 

5. A bunny lovey for my niece.  As I attempted to sew the head and arms into the blanket piece, I remembered exactly why I had said I would never make another one when I first made a bunny lovey for her big sister. The bunny turned out very cute, though!


6. Masks for a Christmas gift.  She asked for them, or I wouldn't have thought of it!

Next up: finishing opening the many packages that have arrived; sorting by use (christmas, Chile, immediate use), more sewing (another sweatshirt material project, some running leggings, hoodie/jackets for the kids, among other projects), lots of cookie baking (and eating), more homeschool, and trying to keep the house somewhat clean. 

A Make 9 2020 reflection post should be coming up soon, hopefully accompanied by an attempt to set a course for 2021. 


Comments

  1. What great projects! I had never heard of a flying geese quilt before, but the pattern absolutely reminds me of flying geese - very cool!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

so far away

Linking up to the Gypsy Mama's five minute Friday.... Chile is so far away. My husband's homeland, the place where he most wants to be. His mama is there, his daddy is there, his brothers and cousins and grandmas and the people who mattered most to him for so so so long are there, and we are here. Here in the very different US, with values thrown at us everyday that seem to say that his childhood was inferior and that returning to a life like that would be the most unwise choice. Here, where the only way to get from one place to another is by car. Here, where without a college degree a "real job" is impossible to come by. Here, where being a legal resident costs thousands of dollars, time, and ridiculous interviews where people question whether you are actually married. Distance is what happens when it is time for the holidays, time to remember family traditions, and the people who are still celebrating them, even though he is far away, thrust into the midst of...

if you met me...

Linking up at the Gypsy Mama . If you met me.... I'd be happy to chat for a little while, unless I was watching the clock and trying to manage my time. Sometimes I try, sometimes I don't. If you met me at school, I'd only speak to you in Spanish. For real. Unless there were no kids around, in which case I could speak to you in English. If you met me at the beach, I'd be running around in my pjs or a bikini. All the time. I think I even forgot to pack shorts for the current beach trip. Who needs shorts when there are bikinis and sunshine? If you met me, you might think I'm ridiculous about how much I love my husband and our cat. And please don't ask me, after you hear that we've been married for five years, if we have any kids. If I didn't mention any, I probably don't have any. And if I didn't mention on my own that I one day want to have kids, don't ask me when I'm planning to. I think it is rude, and personal, and you never kn...

January, Schmanuary....

 This month feels like it is going ON and ON and ON.  I guess 31 days in a single month can make it feel like the month will never end.   It's not a terrible month....it just....it feels like we aren't really getting anywhere.  I keep teaching my kids, we keep doing our "normal" routine of which books we work in and what subjects we study and where and how much we play outside....and the days, they all feel like more of the same.  I start each day calm, and quietly giving directions, and about two hours later all thoughts and feelings that "homeschooling is working for us, this is fine, I could totally keep doing this for another year" fall away and are replaced by feelings of anger and frustration and OMG could my kid please just listen to me ONE TIME and do what I ask her to do ONE TIME without me having to raise my voice? Well.  So that's how homeschooling is going. The homeschooling blogs and facebook groups all seem to agree that this is a tough t...