Skip to main content

Life in the time of Corona, part 7

 Well, I've probably joined the statistic of how many extra people are experiencing anxiety and depression.  The truth is that most of my days look basically the same, and there are very few stand-out events to look forward to, especially considering that my family is not ready to re-join the world of restaurant goers and birthday party attendees and in person grocery shoppers quite yet.  It feels extra lonely these days, as I've done an extra poor job of staying in touch with some of my dearest friends and lack so much contact with more casual, but still apparently important to my mental well-being, acquaintances. 

I've started making an effort to get back in touch with some of the people who help keep me grounded, and I've started the process of finding a counselor to talk to about some of the recent goings-on, and "school" starts next Monday for my kids (virtual, but it will put us back on a schedule), and I'm hopeful that we are going to turn a corner soon. 

My summer "making" wasn't very much, even though I had had high hopes at one point. I managed another jon-jon for "the baby" and a dress/nightgown for Miss Middle, and a few more face masks.  I'm trying to clean up and clean out various areas of my house, including the project room, and the progress is painfully slow.  But progress is progress, and each little bit does actually build up over time.  Hopefully a "school area" will materialize before Monday, but probably not. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

so far away

Linking up to the Gypsy Mama's five minute Friday.... Chile is so far away. My husband's homeland, the place where he most wants to be. His mama is there, his daddy is there, his brothers and cousins and grandmas and the people who mattered most to him for so so so long are there, and we are here. Here in the very different US, with values thrown at us everyday that seem to say that his childhood was inferior and that returning to a life like that would be the most unwise choice. Here, where the only way to get from one place to another is by car. Here, where without a college degree a "real job" is impossible to come by. Here, where being a legal resident costs thousands of dollars, time, and ridiculous interviews where people question whether you are actually married. Distance is what happens when it is time for the holidays, time to remember family traditions, and the people who are still celebrating them, even though he is far away, thrust into the midst of...

if you met me...

Linking up at the Gypsy Mama . If you met me.... I'd be happy to chat for a little while, unless I was watching the clock and trying to manage my time. Sometimes I try, sometimes I don't. If you met me at school, I'd only speak to you in Spanish. For real. Unless there were no kids around, in which case I could speak to you in English. If you met me at the beach, I'd be running around in my pjs or a bikini. All the time. I think I even forgot to pack shorts for the current beach trip. Who needs shorts when there are bikinis and sunshine? If you met me, you might think I'm ridiculous about how much I love my husband and our cat. And please don't ask me, after you hear that we've been married for five years, if we have any kids. If I didn't mention any, I probably don't have any. And if I didn't mention on my own that I one day want to have kids, don't ask me when I'm planning to. I think it is rude, and personal, and you never kn...

January, Schmanuary....

 This month feels like it is going ON and ON and ON.  I guess 31 days in a single month can make it feel like the month will never end.   It's not a terrible month....it just....it feels like we aren't really getting anywhere.  I keep teaching my kids, we keep doing our "normal" routine of which books we work in and what subjects we study and where and how much we play outside....and the days, they all feel like more of the same.  I start each day calm, and quietly giving directions, and about two hours later all thoughts and feelings that "homeschooling is working for us, this is fine, I could totally keep doing this for another year" fall away and are replaced by feelings of anger and frustration and OMG could my kid please just listen to me ONE TIME and do what I ask her to do ONE TIME without me having to raise my voice? Well.  So that's how homeschooling is going. The homeschooling blogs and facebook groups all seem to agree that this is a tough t...