Skip to main content

Getting it done, part 21: the washi dress!

I did it!  Just in time for our trip!  I made myself a washi dress! 

I had my eye on this dress pattern for a LOOOOOOOOOOONG time.  When it was first published several years ago, I didn't think I had the skills.  And honestly, back then, I might not have had the skills necessary.  Also, when it was first published, I didn't think I had the time.  (Ha!  I had comparatively all the time in the world!)  And when it was first published, I definitely didn't have the commitment or follow-through to get a project like this accomplished.

So I made the two test versions as wearable muslins -- a shirt and a dress, both out of an old sheet formerly used to cover one of the yellow chairs that is now grey. (Ok, one chair is grey, the other is about halfway there.)  Both indicated a tiny bit more tweaking of the pattern to fit me the exact right way was necessary....I tried a size smaller, since I still had a lot of gaping at the neckline, but that was very clearly the wrong solution when I tried on that muslin (not intended to be wearable, just intended to try on for fit).  So I decided to just go with the modifications I had made to the second muslin -- raising the neckline about an inch and shortening the darts by about a half inch.

It is not perfect....but it is finished.  I've worn it twice now -- once for beach pictures with my family, and once to church. I had to re-attach a small portion of the sleeve between washings, and also have addressed some extra fabric movement around the neckline with some extra hand stitching. 

I LOVE THIS DRESS.  Even if I have to iron it between wearings, even if I have to keep re-attaching bits here and there -- I am very happy with the end result.  Will I do things differently (and hopefully better) if I make another in the future?  Sure!  It's a learning process!  But is this a completely serviceable item in my wardrobe as is?  YES!



Also on the "done" list: monograms on 3 watermelon towels, the monogram on a woven vinyl bag (what was I thinking?), and a pile of mending projects -- bathing suit bottoms, shorts, straps, etc.

Next in the queue:
finishing the grey chair (if sweet hubby cooperates), a Cleo skirt, and a pair of Beatrix blouses

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

if you met me...

Linking up at the Gypsy Mama . If you met me.... I'd be happy to chat for a little while, unless I was watching the clock and trying to manage my time. Sometimes I try, sometimes I don't. If you met me at school, I'd only speak to you in Spanish. For real. Unless there were no kids around, in which case I could speak to you in English. If you met me at the beach, I'd be running around in my pjs or a bikini. All the time. I think I even forgot to pack shorts for the current beach trip. Who needs shorts when there are bikinis and sunshine? If you met me, you might think I'm ridiculous about how much I love my husband and our cat. And please don't ask me, after you hear that we've been married for five years, if we have any kids. If I didn't mention any, I probably don't have any. And if I didn't mention on my own that I one day want to have kids, don't ask me when I'm planning to. I think it is rude, and personal, and you never kn...

so far away

Linking up to the Gypsy Mama's five minute Friday.... Chile is so far away. My husband's homeland, the place where he most wants to be. His mama is there, his daddy is there, his brothers and cousins and grandmas and the people who mattered most to him for so so so long are there, and we are here. Here in the very different US, with values thrown at us everyday that seem to say that his childhood was inferior and that returning to a life like that would be the most unwise choice. Here, where the only way to get from one place to another is by car. Here, where without a college degree a "real job" is impossible to come by. Here, where being a legal resident costs thousands of dollars, time, and ridiculous interviews where people question whether you are actually married. Distance is what happens when it is time for the holidays, time to remember family traditions, and the people who are still celebrating them, even though he is far away, thrust into the midst of...

January, Schmanuary....

 This month feels like it is going ON and ON and ON.  I guess 31 days in a single month can make it feel like the month will never end.   It's not a terrible month....it just....it feels like we aren't really getting anywhere.  I keep teaching my kids, we keep doing our "normal" routine of which books we work in and what subjects we study and where and how much we play outside....and the days, they all feel like more of the same.  I start each day calm, and quietly giving directions, and about two hours later all thoughts and feelings that "homeschooling is working for us, this is fine, I could totally keep doing this for another year" fall away and are replaced by feelings of anger and frustration and OMG could my kid please just listen to me ONE TIME and do what I ask her to do ONE TIME without me having to raise my voice? Well.  So that's how homeschooling is going. The homeschooling blogs and facebook groups all seem to agree that this is a tough t...