Skip to main content

Getting it done, part 3

I am still getting things done! 

I feel a little bit proud of myself, for sticking to it, and for putting the phone down at least some of the time, and getting some real things accomplished.

I gave up some of my few precious hours of child free time last week to work on a very important project: finding a job outside of the home for next school year.  Two fantastic possibilities on the horizon....If you are the praying sort, please pray that the decision be very clear, relatively easy, and that once I make the decision, I not be filled with regret and second thoughts.

I've created a wall hanging to remind myself of ten different things I can do instead of using my phone.  It is above my work table, and hopefully will continue to remind and inspire me to get things done instead of wasting time on social media.

It is certainly not perfect, but it is finished.  And I'm going for finished these days -- well done, rather than perfect, and complete, rather than materials sitting around and taking up space. 

I'm in the process of making a quiet book for Miss Middle, as she is 3.5 years old.  I came across the materials for another "mend something," so I'm hoping that sweet hubby will have the appropriate tools and that it will be done soon.  

Also in progress is a quilt that I started in college, about 17 years ago...I am making steady progress on it, but it is slow going, as I am densely hand-quilting it.  I did zig-zag the edges and trim the extra batting and fabric off, and that made it look a whole lot more finished than before.  Also, I have prepared the binding, but not attached it.  

Coming soon: re-upholstery!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

if you met me...

Linking up at the Gypsy Mama . If you met me.... I'd be happy to chat for a little while, unless I was watching the clock and trying to manage my time. Sometimes I try, sometimes I don't. If you met me at school, I'd only speak to you in Spanish. For real. Unless there were no kids around, in which case I could speak to you in English. If you met me at the beach, I'd be running around in my pjs or a bikini. All the time. I think I even forgot to pack shorts for the current beach trip. Who needs shorts when there are bikinis and sunshine? If you met me, you might think I'm ridiculous about how much I love my husband and our cat. And please don't ask me, after you hear that we've been married for five years, if we have any kids. If I didn't mention any, I probably don't have any. And if I didn't mention on my own that I one day want to have kids, don't ask me when I'm planning to. I think it is rude, and personal, and you never kn...

so far away

Linking up to the Gypsy Mama's five minute Friday.... Chile is so far away. My husband's homeland, the place where he most wants to be. His mama is there, his daddy is there, his brothers and cousins and grandmas and the people who mattered most to him for so so so long are there, and we are here. Here in the very different US, with values thrown at us everyday that seem to say that his childhood was inferior and that returning to a life like that would be the most unwise choice. Here, where the only way to get from one place to another is by car. Here, where without a college degree a "real job" is impossible to come by. Here, where being a legal resident costs thousands of dollars, time, and ridiculous interviews where people question whether you are actually married. Distance is what happens when it is time for the holidays, time to remember family traditions, and the people who are still celebrating them, even though he is far away, thrust into the midst of...

January, Schmanuary....

 This month feels like it is going ON and ON and ON.  I guess 31 days in a single month can make it feel like the month will never end.   It's not a terrible month....it just....it feels like we aren't really getting anywhere.  I keep teaching my kids, we keep doing our "normal" routine of which books we work in and what subjects we study and where and how much we play outside....and the days, they all feel like more of the same.  I start each day calm, and quietly giving directions, and about two hours later all thoughts and feelings that "homeschooling is working for us, this is fine, I could totally keep doing this for another year" fall away and are replaced by feelings of anger and frustration and OMG could my kid please just listen to me ONE TIME and do what I ask her to do ONE TIME without me having to raise my voice? Well.  So that's how homeschooling is going. The homeschooling blogs and facebook groups all seem to agree that this is a tough t...