Skip to main content

so, I didn't make a baby blanket....

Like I was supposed to....for my dear friend who is about to have a sweet little boy in September (I'm trying to get ahead -- I'm horrible at on-time baby gifts!)....but I took the birdie fabric from the collection of baby-boy-blanket materials.

So I started with these two fabrics -- a green paisley chosen on purpose for making a shirt, and the blue birdies that were really intended for the baby blanket.



And I had bought this pattern back in February or March, thinking about using elements of it with a different fabric.



It took a while to cut out all the pattern pieces, then to lay them out and cut them a second time with the fabric. That was as far as I got on day 1. Day 1 was Sunday night. I was watching the Gamecocks not score and not score and not score until the bottom of the ninth. It was pretty intense. I was glad to have the distraction of cutting the pattern pieces.



Day 2, Monday, I started putting the pieces together. And I got as far as wanting to put the zipper in, when I realized that it really did need something between the two fabrics to tie them together. And to cover up a funny looking gather under the bust.

So instead of going to walmart to pick up some ribbon or something, I put on a bathing suit and sat on the dock for a few hours. I took a dip in the waterway and read a book. I peeled some peaches and did some laundry. I did not go to the store.



Day 3, I decided to head to the store first thing. This is more of a challenge than it should be, since at home there are multiple fabric and craft stores within 20 minutes of my house, while here at the beach, there are not. The nearest Joann's is about an hour away. And I don't have the GPS here, either -- it was not going to be pretty. I don't love shopping at walmart's fabric section, either, because the quality always seems to be off. On the drive down to the beach, I had noticed a sign for a quilt shop about 30 minutes away....So I decided to give it a try.

It was great. It was a small shop, obviously locally owned, and though the owner didn't seem to have much as far as "trim" goes -- no ric-rac or ribbon -- the quilt fabric with its small print in many different colors was easy to match with my green and blue. Plus, I love supporting local businesses -- and at the beach, within 30 minutes of the house can count as local.

So I came home and did some laundry -- must pre-shrink the cotton, you know -- and then I started sewing. I think I watched 15 episodes of "Say Yes to the Dress" while I was working.

I had a few set-backs with the zipper. I took it back off at least three times before it was satisfactorily lined up. And my machine started having tension issues again -- I think it just doesn't like to be used so much.

But here it is -- the final product. A little tight getting on and off, but I think it looks nice on. And even if it doesn't, I plan to wear it anyway. Because I made it. And I like wearing things I've made. So there.







And here's one more that didn't work quite the way I intended....but was funny enough to make me laugh!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

so far away

Linking up to the Gypsy Mama's five minute Friday.... Chile is so far away. My husband's homeland, the place where he most wants to be. His mama is there, his daddy is there, his brothers and cousins and grandmas and the people who mattered most to him for so so so long are there, and we are here. Here in the very different US, with values thrown at us everyday that seem to say that his childhood was inferior and that returning to a life like that would be the most unwise choice. Here, where the only way to get from one place to another is by car. Here, where without a college degree a "real job" is impossible to come by. Here, where being a legal resident costs thousands of dollars, time, and ridiculous interviews where people question whether you are actually married. Distance is what happens when it is time for the holidays, time to remember family traditions, and the people who are still celebrating them, even though he is far away, thrust into the midst of...

if you met me...

Linking up at the Gypsy Mama . If you met me.... I'd be happy to chat for a little while, unless I was watching the clock and trying to manage my time. Sometimes I try, sometimes I don't. If you met me at school, I'd only speak to you in Spanish. For real. Unless there were no kids around, in which case I could speak to you in English. If you met me at the beach, I'd be running around in my pjs or a bikini. All the time. I think I even forgot to pack shorts for the current beach trip. Who needs shorts when there are bikinis and sunshine? If you met me, you might think I'm ridiculous about how much I love my husband and our cat. And please don't ask me, after you hear that we've been married for five years, if we have any kids. If I didn't mention any, I probably don't have any. And if I didn't mention on my own that I one day want to have kids, don't ask me when I'm planning to. I think it is rude, and personal, and you never kn...

January, Schmanuary....

 This month feels like it is going ON and ON and ON.  I guess 31 days in a single month can make it feel like the month will never end.   It's not a terrible month....it just....it feels like we aren't really getting anywhere.  I keep teaching my kids, we keep doing our "normal" routine of which books we work in and what subjects we study and where and how much we play outside....and the days, they all feel like more of the same.  I start each day calm, and quietly giving directions, and about two hours later all thoughts and feelings that "homeschooling is working for us, this is fine, I could totally keep doing this for another year" fall away and are replaced by feelings of anger and frustration and OMG could my kid please just listen to me ONE TIME and do what I ask her to do ONE TIME without me having to raise my voice? Well.  So that's how homeschooling is going. The homeschooling blogs and facebook groups all seem to agree that this is a tough t...