Skip to main content

Wednesday off?

It has been a strange day for me.

I went to school this morning, but just for about an hour. We interviewed the person who will become fifth grade immersion for next year at 7:10. At 8:00, my students skyped with China for about half an hour.

I left after that.

I walked around target for a while, and bought this dress, which my sister apparently already bought in pink. I think I can make the black work for more seasons than the pink, so I'm planning to keep it anyway. We'll just add it to the list of clothes that we have to ask about if we are planning to wear them to a function we might both attend. Like, say, church every week.

After target, I went to the doctor. Apparently I hurt myself running the 10k on Saturday. Boo. So I toughed it out for enough days to decide that it wasn't really getting better on its own. Then I begged for a next day appointment and booked a sub.

(I know, I know. If I am having trouble with my foot, why did I walk around in Target? To make sure that my foot was good and sore so that I could really describe well what is going on to the doctor. It's hard to know what hurts first thing in the morning, when the problem is occurring after walking around for a few minutes....Or all day in the classroom.)

I think my sub was happy that it was only a half day with my group of kids. I know I was happy I only had to take a half day off of work, since it was collaborative planning.

I have a funny little booty to wear for the next couple of weeks, since apparently I either have tendonitis or a stress fracture. Neither would be a big deal if I had an office job and could sit down all day. The doctor specifically asked if I had to stand up to do things like bus duty, and could I get out of it? Um, maybe out of parts of it, but teaching really does require me to be in a lot of places all at once, and I can count zero of those places that are sitting in a chair with my foot up. I have counted and it will be exactly seven school days with the booty on. One of them is our field trip. That will be lots of fun....Hopefully by then my foot will already be feeling much, much better, and I will have moved past the booty, and canceled the follow-up appointment.....

Let me wishful think. It is good for me. I promise.

Ok, maybe it's not good for me. But I talked it through with the kind doctor, and he helped me make the smart decision. Which is to wear the booty, even though it will be awkward for the next two weeks. I'm going for smart, rather than fashionable.

So I went to Lenten Lunch at my church, ate some sandwiches and soup, saw my mama and my sister (where I found out about the dress) and then came home to watch romantic comedies. Except that the second one turned out to just be sad. I cried. By myself. With the cat. It was pitiful.

And tomorrow I'll be back to school, with hyped up kids, since I snuck out today, and a booty on my foot. We'll see if they even notice.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

so far away

Linking up to the Gypsy Mama's five minute Friday.... Chile is so far away. My husband's homeland, the place where he most wants to be. His mama is there, his daddy is there, his brothers and cousins and grandmas and the people who mattered most to him for so so so long are there, and we are here. Here in the very different US, with values thrown at us everyday that seem to say that his childhood was inferior and that returning to a life like that would be the most unwise choice. Here, where the only way to get from one place to another is by car. Here, where without a college degree a "real job" is impossible to come by. Here, where being a legal resident costs thousands of dollars, time, and ridiculous interviews where people question whether you are actually married. Distance is what happens when it is time for the holidays, time to remember family traditions, and the people who are still celebrating them, even though he is far away, thrust into the midst of...

if you met me...

Linking up at the Gypsy Mama . If you met me.... I'd be happy to chat for a little while, unless I was watching the clock and trying to manage my time. Sometimes I try, sometimes I don't. If you met me at school, I'd only speak to you in Spanish. For real. Unless there were no kids around, in which case I could speak to you in English. If you met me at the beach, I'd be running around in my pjs or a bikini. All the time. I think I even forgot to pack shorts for the current beach trip. Who needs shorts when there are bikinis and sunshine? If you met me, you might think I'm ridiculous about how much I love my husband and our cat. And please don't ask me, after you hear that we've been married for five years, if we have any kids. If I didn't mention any, I probably don't have any. And if I didn't mention on my own that I one day want to have kids, don't ask me when I'm planning to. I think it is rude, and personal, and you never kn...

January, Schmanuary....

 This month feels like it is going ON and ON and ON.  I guess 31 days in a single month can make it feel like the month will never end.   It's not a terrible month....it just....it feels like we aren't really getting anywhere.  I keep teaching my kids, we keep doing our "normal" routine of which books we work in and what subjects we study and where and how much we play outside....and the days, they all feel like more of the same.  I start each day calm, and quietly giving directions, and about two hours later all thoughts and feelings that "homeschooling is working for us, this is fine, I could totally keep doing this for another year" fall away and are replaced by feelings of anger and frustration and OMG could my kid please just listen to me ONE TIME and do what I ask her to do ONE TIME without me having to raise my voice? Well.  So that's how homeschooling is going. The homeschooling blogs and facebook groups all seem to agree that this is a tough t...