Skip to main content

Surprise, surprise!

Most of the time, I'm not a huge fan of surprises. That's usually when they are directed at me, and involve things like failed classes or forgotten laundry or extra meetings, and things like that....

I am a huge fan, however, of planning surprises for my husband.

Like a three night stay at a B&B in Virginia. For his birthday. When my cousin was bringing guests to stay at the beach, and he wanted to go away.

He thought we were just heading back to Columbia, kicked out of the beach house, and that I had finally relented and agreed to go with him, rather than sticking it out at the beach with the cuz and her guests.

When I asked about taking his camera "home" with us, he wanted to know why. Oh, I said, we never take pictures of the two of us; I thought it might be fun to take some while we are home.

When I suggested he take more nice clothes "home," he wanted to know why. Well, if we are taking pictures, I want to make sure you look nice.

I snagged his toothbrush while he fixed a bottle of water for the road -- no need to pack one for home, since we keep one at home anyway....

And I convinced him that it was my turn to drive the backroads stretch of the trip home....

Only I went the wrong direction, on purpose. He was immediately suspicious. And he started guessing. Are we going to Wilmington? No.

Are we going to Silver Coast? No.

Are we going to the beach? No.

Where are we going? I don't know, with a sweet secretive smile....

Are we going to New York? No.

Are we going to DC? No.

Where are we going????

We're going to Virginia.

What???

At this point I handed him the directions I had printed out the night before, for the off chance that I would need to sneak a look if he hadn't figured it out and set the GPS for me.

We spent three nights in Onancock, on the Eastern Shore, which I had never even heard of before my google search suggested the Colonial Manor Inn might have a room available....

Surprise vacation? check.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

if you met me...

Linking up at the Gypsy Mama . If you met me.... I'd be happy to chat for a little while, unless I was watching the clock and trying to manage my time. Sometimes I try, sometimes I don't. If you met me at school, I'd only speak to you in Spanish. For real. Unless there were no kids around, in which case I could speak to you in English. If you met me at the beach, I'd be running around in my pjs or a bikini. All the time. I think I even forgot to pack shorts for the current beach trip. Who needs shorts when there are bikinis and sunshine? If you met me, you might think I'm ridiculous about how much I love my husband and our cat. And please don't ask me, after you hear that we've been married for five years, if we have any kids. If I didn't mention any, I probably don't have any. And if I didn't mention on my own that I one day want to have kids, don't ask me when I'm planning to. I think it is rude, and personal, and you never kn...

so far away

Linking up to the Gypsy Mama's five minute Friday.... Chile is so far away. My husband's homeland, the place where he most wants to be. His mama is there, his daddy is there, his brothers and cousins and grandmas and the people who mattered most to him for so so so long are there, and we are here. Here in the very different US, with values thrown at us everyday that seem to say that his childhood was inferior and that returning to a life like that would be the most unwise choice. Here, where the only way to get from one place to another is by car. Here, where without a college degree a "real job" is impossible to come by. Here, where being a legal resident costs thousands of dollars, time, and ridiculous interviews where people question whether you are actually married. Distance is what happens when it is time for the holidays, time to remember family traditions, and the people who are still celebrating them, even though he is far away, thrust into the midst of...

January, Schmanuary....

 This month feels like it is going ON and ON and ON.  I guess 31 days in a single month can make it feel like the month will never end.   It's not a terrible month....it just....it feels like we aren't really getting anywhere.  I keep teaching my kids, we keep doing our "normal" routine of which books we work in and what subjects we study and where and how much we play outside....and the days, they all feel like more of the same.  I start each day calm, and quietly giving directions, and about two hours later all thoughts and feelings that "homeschooling is working for us, this is fine, I could totally keep doing this for another year" fall away and are replaced by feelings of anger and frustration and OMG could my kid please just listen to me ONE TIME and do what I ask her to do ONE TIME without me having to raise my voice? Well.  So that's how homeschooling is going. The homeschooling blogs and facebook groups all seem to agree that this is a tough t...